Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9025
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi there, I've read nearly every single post here regarding issues with scanning to folders. After trying for nearly 3 days, I'm giving up and hope I can find help here. I just purchased an OfficeJet Pro 9025 and am trying to setup the Scanning to Folder option. 

On my Mac, running macOS 10.14.5, I created a folder named "Scans" and shared it, both AFP and SMB options are on. I created a separate user and named it "Scanner" for sharing only. Added this user's credentials when I activate file sharing. This user has read & write access to "Scans". However, when setting up the Scan to Folder option, II keep getting "Incorrect credentials. Check your username/password." Here's what I tried:

To test if the setup is working, I used a Windows 10 laptop and connected to my mac with \\192.168.1.212\Scans. I was prompted to enter my username and password on the Windows 10 laptop but both attempts 

1. username: scanner   with correct password

2. username: Scanner   with correct password (this option used the capital "S" since I setup the user this way on my mac)

failed. So I tried the following:

username: mymacname\scanner   with correct password

That worked! I saw the mac Scans folder now in my Windows 10 file explorer and was able to write and read to that folder. At this point, I feel pretty confident that I setup the shared folder on my mac correctly. So, I did the same thing on the Scan to Folder setup page of my OfficeJet Pro 9025 but I still get the same error message. I tried it with capital and lowercase S, neither one works. I tried it with and without mymacname\

Not sure what else to try. I updated to the latest firmware today but no change. The printer works otherwise without any issues. I can scan by initiating the scan from my mac but I really would like to get the Scan to Folder working. That was part of the reason why I bought it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It's most likely not you...it's the printer.

It would seem that the printer does not have an entry for Time Zone.  As Kerberos authentication has a time factor this could be throwing off authentication.  The text in the Time & Date in the printer EWS says that it is GMT by default.  So, to get authentication to work I had to set the time on the printer to the current GMT time/date so that the time between the Mac and the printer would technically be the same.  I just searched current GMT time on the internet and put that time/date in the Printer's EWS.

For example:

my Mac is in MST 9:00:00 AM

my printer time is set to sync with my Mac so shows . 9:00:00 AM as well.  But the printer only understands GMT so this is actually GMT and NOT MST.  So, to kerberos it's wrong and authentication fails.

I actually need to set the time on the printer to 3:00:00 PM GMT time.  Then the times based on Time Zone match up and authentication works.

I just tested this 2 times on my printer by doing a Restore Factory Defaults and setting it up again.

For user name I used just the name for the account w/o the computer name preceding it.

This is clearly not intuitive and I have reached out to the product team to see what can be done to correct this.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It's most likely not you...it's the printer.

It would seem that the printer does not have an entry for Time Zone.  As Kerberos authentication has a time factor this could be throwing off authentication.  The text in the Time & Date in the printer EWS says that it is GMT by default.  So, to get authentication to work I had to set the time on the printer to the current GMT time/date so that the time between the Mac and the printer would technically be the same.  I just searched current GMT time on the internet and put that time/date in the Printer's EWS.

For example:

my Mac is in MST 9:00:00 AM

my printer time is set to sync with my Mac so shows . 9:00:00 AM as well.  But the printer only understands GMT so this is actually GMT and NOT MST.  So, to kerberos it's wrong and authentication fails.

I actually need to set the time on the printer to 3:00:00 PM GMT time.  Then the times based on Time Zone match up and authentication works.

I just tested this 2 times on my printer by doing a Restore Factory Defaults and setting it up again.

For user name I used just the name for the account w/o the computer name preceding it.

This is clearly not intuitive and I have reached out to the product team to see what can be done to correct this.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

IronBadger, you don't know what it feels like to see the green "test completed successfully" message on my screen after only making this little change you describe. Would have never figured this out on my own. I cannot thank you enough! Everything is working as intended. It's people like you who make me come back to these community boards. By the way, my date/time screen on the EWS does not say anything about GMT. I didn't even think about different time zones...

Thank you very much,

Christoph

HP Recommended

This is amazing. Thank you, thank you IronBadger!

FYI to anyone reading this solution, setting the time is done on the printer's web page -> Settings -> Preferences -> Date & Time (at least as of 2019-08-22)

HP Recommended

I have the same issues scanning to network folder with a synology diskstation as the destination. I had been using an Officejet 8620 without problems for several years, just upgraded to a 9025.

Unfortunately, HP does not offer an option to set the time zone in its setting in the latest firmware, so other than just manually adjusting the time (which I did), I am unable to sync up time zones.

I bought the 9025 over its competitors specifically for the dual-scanning feature, so I'd be heartbroken if I could not scan to our network folder!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

Dang! IronBadger's solution of setting the printer time to GMT  was working for a few weeks, but not now. Not sure if it's a Mac or HP change. I'm back to the "The printer is unable to connect to the remote destination. Check your configurations and try again." error. I've recreated the network folder, tried setting the time to both local and GMT time, but no dice. 

Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.