Level 2
20 12 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Cannot find printer wirelessly

HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Premium
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi folks!  I'm getting more and more frustrated with my printer (or computer?)

I have always been able to print and scan with my MacBook Air, but for some reason the two can't find each other.  Both have been restarted, restored to factory settings, and so forth, but when I try to find the printer it doesn't pop up.

The odd thing is that I can find it with my iPhone just fine and print from there.  What gives?

Please somebody help me out!  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 571 630
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jgossc

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I understand the printer is not communicating with the mac, need not worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

When was the printer working for the last time?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

In the meantime, follow the below troubleshooting steps,

Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router

Restart the computer, printer, and router to resolve any network or communication error states.

NOTE:

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections, and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Disconnect the power cord from the router.

2. Turn off the printer.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, including the HP software installation window, then shut down the computer.

4. Reconnect the power cord to the router, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.

5. Turn on the printer.

6. Turn on the computer.

7. Try installing the HP software again.

• If the printer is found during the installation, the issue is resolved.

• If the printer is not found during the installation, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Delete the existing print queue and add the printer

Remove the printer queue from the list of printers, and then add it again. Doing so creates a new printing session.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. In the Printers list, click your HP printer, and then click the Minus button  to delete it.

3. Click the Add button .

4. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE:

If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  5. Click Print Using or Use.

6. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  7. Try printing again.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 12 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Raj!

I tried all of the aforementioned things...unplugged, restarted, restored defaults, and so on, but it won't find it.  Funny thing is that my laptop will find my parents' HP printer, but for some reason this one won't appear.

It last worked a couple of months ago, but it just quit.  I thought it was the router, but my iPhone is able to find and print to it.  I've replaced routers as well.

I did the direct connection...something like a IP address, I think...and it would print but not scan.  This is ridiculous that it just decided that it wouldn't be found by my laptop.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 571 630
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jgossc

Thanks for the reply,

Check the router band:

Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting.

If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

Reset the printing system

CAUTION:

Resetting the print system deletes all devices in the print queue. This includes both HP and non-HP devices.

1. Right-click (or Ctrl + click) the blank space in the Printers list, and then click Reset printing system....

Figure : Resetting the print system

Printers and Scanners windows showing the Reset printing system selection
  2. Click Reset in the confirmation window.

3. Enter the administrator username and password, and then click OK.

4. Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list.

Add the printer.

1. Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet.

2. Click the Add button .

3. Find and select the name of your printer from the Printer list, and then click Add to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

NOTE:

If your printer does not display in the list, make sure the printer is connected, turned on, has power, and is ready to print.

Figure : Example of the printer selection list

Image: The Add window showing a selection of printers with one model selected.
  4. Click Print Using or Use.

5. Select the name of your printer (if available) or AirPrint.

Figure : Menu showing AirPrint selected

Image: Menu showing AirPrint selected

Your new printer queue displays in the Printers list in an Idle status .

Figure : Example of a newly added printer in the Printers & Scanners list

Image: The printers and scanners windows with one printer in the printers list
  6. Try printing again.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Take care:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 12 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ugh!  Still not showing!!!

It's weird b/c my phone can find and print to it on the same network, and my computer can even pick it up in the wifi list, but it will not show up on the list.  I'll try checking the bandwidth this afternoon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,450
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jgossc,

I have reviewed the post. Thanks for the quick response. Your terrific commitment, immaculate attitude and superb technical competence are indeed laudable. Kudos to you for a job well done. As @Raj1788 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

Please try these steps:

First perform a hard reset on the printer from this link: https://hp.care/2sGl7No and follow instructions from the section “Step 1: Reset the printer

From this link: https://hp.care/2IXdaMK (HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Mac) perform the following steps:

• Step 1: Restart the computer, printer, and router
  • Step 2: Check the network and printer connection status
  • Step 3: Manually connect the printer to your network (wireless connections only)

Now check if the issue gets fixed. If it still continues, then perform these steps:

• Please ensure that you install all the latest updates for your Mac OS and that it is completely up to date.
  • Then update the printer’s firmware if it is available by following instructions from this link: https://hp.care/2rHKwDD

Now try to connect and check if the printer works. If it continues, then disable IPV6 protocol from this link: https://hp.care/2DPvC4S under the section “Step 6: Other things to try”.

If the issue continues, then first install the printer as a USB printer.

• Then convert the USB printer to a wireless one by performing all the prescribed steps from this link: https://hp.care/2DBVhOn (HP Printers - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection) based on your operating system.

This should do the trick for you. If this does not work, then please contact HP phone support to get the issue resolved.  A one to one interaction with them will keep you in good stead as they may have multiple options to assist you in real time. They may even take control of your MacBook to assist you.

I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
20 12 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ugh...this is ridiculous!  It still won't work!  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,450
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jgossc,

I read the post. Please contact HP phone support as suggested in my previous post to get assistance in real time.

Thanks and have a blessed day ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation