2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cannot save scan on computer

Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can scan and the image is shown on screen, however when I come to save it in whatever location, it tells me the file does not exist. I have tried a hard reset, removed and reinstalled the printer, HP Doctor.

Nothing changes, same problem!

Help please

4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
Level 15
23,088 22,870 1,966 7,225
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Brian-IFC 

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software for the printer.

If you install software, Restart the computer and log in

Reminder:

Current account must have access to the Temp folder

All else being equal, that is, other solutions already checked / applied:

• Temp folder requires full permissions, including Read / Write, for current user
  • Check / add / edit permissions for user (current login) on Temp folders

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\Temp

Example

Temp_Folder_Permissions_1.JPGTemp_Folder_Permissions_1

If you cannot control (or are having problems) saving the scan to your account on your computer,

If the folder permissions are set to give you full read/write access to the folders in your account,

Consider / try

Add the following software that may help clarify and assign the destination folder.

Link / Download:  HP Scan Extended 

Download, save, and install to use.  Exceptional free HP scan program:  HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  May include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

NOTES

• HPSE is an older subset of the printer software; features are very similar to scan software included in 2015 or newer Full Feature Software packages.
  • If you have the newer version of the scan software inside your Full Feature Software, use that: Printer Assistant shortcut icon on Desktop (named for printer) > Scan a document or image (wording varies).
  • Although the HPSE program works as a separate program, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the printer software. The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL: Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Clickexe > Select Pin to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start

Example

Place photo(s) on glass

Open the HPSE program

Select Save as JPG

Select Source and other options on the main menu

Click More > Destination

Adjust the Destination options

Adjust any options in other sub-menus

When ready, click Scan

HP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1.JPGHP_Scan_Extended_Shortcut_1

HPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1E.jpgHPSE_Scan-to-PDF_1E

For later...

Link and Download  NAPS2 

Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).  Includes OCR.  Download, save, and install to use.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Brian-IFC
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks your advice worked when I loaded HP Scan Extended.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
23,088 22,870 1,966 7,225
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@Brian-IFC 

You are welcome.

HPSE is a nice program and provides several of the features found in newer scan software.

If you have need for it, the "Auto Detect Size" feature does a nice job of creating separate files for a group of photos placed on the printer glass (flatbed).  Though the feature is by no means unique, it was missing (for a while) in some printer software.  I havel also used Auto Detect Size to extract one or more images from a document page.

Happy Printing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
OccasionalUser
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I had the same problem with my Windows 10 pad, but found a warning in the Notifications Area advising that an app was trying to save a file to a protected folder.  This was a function of Windows Security - Ransomware Protection.  To fix this, go to Settings/ Windows Security/Virus & Threat Protection, and click on Manage ransomware protection, then on Allow an app through Controlled folder access.  There may be an option to add a recently blocked app, or you'll have to browse to find the app. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation