Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP M477 fdw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I 've set up my printer to scan to a network folder on my Macbook Air running MacOS 10.14.3.

After I've configured the set up using the printer's embedded server webpage I test it and get the very error message " The test was unsuccessful. Try again" which is a contender for the most unhelpful error message!

Here's what I've tried:

Power cycling printer and Mac

Rebooted network

Datecode of printer firmware 20180201

Enabled "Scan to network folder" on printer

On Mac set up shared folder "Scans" in my documents folder, using SMB 

Configured scanner to Scan to network folder

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 21.05.27.png

I've scoured the HP forums and cannot find a solution that works.

I know I could use a thumb drive to move the scans, but it would be inconvenient given the number of scans I need to do and I bought this printer partially because of the scan to folder feature.

Thanks for any tips or help to enable me to scan directy to a network folder on my Mac.

Fred

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You need to go get the latest firmware for the M477.  It has a fix for scn to network folder issues in High Sierra and Mojave.

You can get that here.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip about the new firmware for the M477 IronBadger.

I have updated the firmware with the datecode 20190113 but am still having the original problem.

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 12.07.23.png

What do you suggest as next steps?

thanks

Fred

HP Recommended

Ok that is a different issue.  The firmware fixes an issue where the test would work but anything scanned over 72 dpi would fail.  That looks like a more direct communications issue.  It's good you have it now but would not resolve this.

Have you followed the steps outlined in ths document?

HP Recommended

This worked for me!  I am running Mojave with a M477.

HP Recommended

Can you provide updated documents; the links are not working.  I have been having issues creating a network folder with Mojave.

HP Recommended

It looks like that document was finally retired.  It was quite old.  Unfortunately, I can't find a new one that meets all the needs.

I have one that I wrote with updated info.  I have attached a PDF to this post.

This doc was written for Enterprise devices, so the look and feel of the Embedded Web Server may be different.

I hope it helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks IronBadger. Your updated PDF was helpful and I'm going to keep for future reference.

Part of the problem I had was with the pointer to the shared folder where scans are sent. Specifically the folder was nested several levels within my documents folder. When I relocated it to the highest level I was able to scan to a folder.

The only other problem I have is that the IP for my Mac changes every time I reboot it, which causes me to have to update my Mac's IP address using the Embedded Web Server. Is there any easy way around this?

Thanks

Fred 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.