Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I now my HP 3100 Fax Machine is old but worked great until a while back with the same HP 21 and 22 ink cartridges.  Now when I power it up it gives me "Cartridge Error.  Cartridge on right not intended for this printer".  It is the official HP Cartridge with number C9351A on it.  How can I be sure it is the cartridge and not the machine before I invest in a new black ink cartridge.  I would replace both of them if I could be sure the machine itself was not the culprit.  I cleaned the contacts, etc according to the manual.  Help!  Don 129

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Don129

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you insert your old ink, do you still get the error message? If you do, it could be the Printer which is faulty. If you don't then the new cartridges are faulty and you could exchange either by going to the store you purchased it from or by contacting the HP Support Team:

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Also. let us know the complete Printer name.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Don129

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

If you insert your old ink, do you still get the error message? If you do, it could be the Printer which is faulty. If you don't then the new cartridges are faulty and you could exchange either by going to the store you purchased it from or by contacting the HP Support Team:

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

Also. let us know the complete Printer name.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I finally replaced the HP 21 official ink cartridge with a new one and the fax machine works fine as does the color cartridge same age as the HP21 Black one that the printer said was not intended for my fax printer.  We have enough problem with error messages without being told you have an illegal cartridge that could not be more legal.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.