3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Computer doesn't see ENVY scanner section

ENVY 4520
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Last weekend I bought an ENVY 4520 to replace a malfunctioning Lexmark all in one. I quickly learned that the software avaulable for that printer was not available for Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion). However, I followed the instructions on this and Apple's site and downloaded the proper drivers for the 4500 series. I am able to print wirelessly from my Mac, but when I attempy yo scan, the 4520 does not show up. In fact, the Print and Scan Control Panel doesn't see the 4520 as anything but a printer, with no scan option available. HP Utility "sees" the fevice but offers no settings adjustments. The HP Scan app, doesn't see it either.

Whilst printing is the primary reason I bought this unit, the scan function is also valuable and I would like to be able to use it. Obviously the current HP software doesn't support my Mac and OS (Lion) -- are there ear;ier versions of the scanning setup software availavle. If not, do you have suggestions for ()perhaps) generic software that will allow me to use the scanner?

- colin

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 5 FretnBoutNutn
Level 5
150 147 11 56
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the frustration you must be feeling.  I did some checking and have confirmed that HP only provides scan drivers for your product on OS X 10.8 and later.  This product also supports the Apple AirPrint (scan) functionality enabling you to scan without HP software, but here again this support is only available on OS X 10.10 and later.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of 3rd party scan applications.  My only suggestion would be to consider upgrading the OS version of your Mac (if possible) as this would open your options considerably.

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

0 Kudos
colinmansfield
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunaely, my Mac is old enough that it cannot run OS X 8 or higher, so I seem to be stuck with something that doesn't do (for me) what it's supposed to. (Living on a fixed income doesn't allow me to upgrade my Mac, sadly.

Oh well. The oribt quality is decent. and that will have to do.

0 Kudos
old-jims
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

How do I find what OS X

I Have on my apple  Thxs I found what version I have

0 Kudos
colinmansfield
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@old-jims wrote:

How do I find what OS X

I Have on my apple  Thxs I found what version I have

f you go to the menu bar, you will see an Apple symbol at the top right. Click on that and from the drop down menu choose About This Mac. A wondow woll pop up showing the basic info, including the OS version.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation