Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Three month old Deskjet 3050 was working great up until today.  When I hit the scan button the power button immediately begins to blink and the error message reads " scan error try scan from computer".  I have unplugged the power for several hours, plugged it back in, no change.  Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software, issue resolved Thank You

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Scan issue could be either a hardware issue related to the all in one, or a siftware related issue. We need to first check the hardware functionality of the all in one by performing a stand alone copy.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Turn on the Printer
  2. Verify that there are plain white papers loaded in the input tray.
  3. Place the original print side down on the right front corner of the glass.
  4. Press the Start Copy Black or Start Copy Color button to start a copy job.

Check the results.

If copying has issues, then please follow the steps in the link provided below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00587971

If copying issue is resolved, then for scanning you need to uninstall and reinstall the printer software completely.

NOTE:- Though I am working for HP, my posts are my own.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Copy function works fine, tried to scan from PC, worked fine.  Will uninstall/reinstall software early this evening when I have more time.  Thank You

HP Recommended

Uninstalled/reinstalled the software, issue resolved Thank You

HP Recommended

This scanner problem is driving me 'Bananas'. One day it works and the next day not. I've tried 'paint' scanning and it worked yesterday and today not.. I need the scanning for important documents but this scanner problem is very bad. I need an answer. Should I reinstall the CD ...and do I uninstall the previuos on first?

HP Recommended

I have no scan to my computer.  It will scan and print the document just fine, but the computer insists that there is no scanner.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software at least 5 times already and I still get the same issue.  I hit the scan button on the printer and it times out.  I run the Scan Diagnostic tool and it gets to HP Twain Scan and fails (after it fails at WIA).  It offfers no fix button and tells me to uninstall and reinstall.  This is unbelievable because last week the scan worked fine.  The scan function is the only reason I bought this printer and if it doesn't work, then I have wasted my money.  Any solutions other than uninstall and reinstall would be great.  I am running Windows 7 (64-bit).

HP Recommended

I tried all of the above, even the hp diagnotic utility, nothing worked.  I found in services that "Shell Hardware Detection" was disabled.  Set it to automatic start, start it and then start the windows image acquisition service and now everything is working!!!

HP Recommended
This worked. Thank you so much
HP Recommended

I'm having a similar problem.

ive uninstaled and reinstalled my printer many times so far, i cant get it to connect to the scanner. not only that, but i cant get it to connect to a wireless netwrok either, just getting to connect wired is a pain!

im running windows 7, 64 bit home premium. everytime i try to get the scanner to work, i get an error message saying:scanner commmunication cannot be established!, ensure your product is powerd on ect.ect. and ive done everything it says, and ive googled this many many times and ive found nothing that has been able to help me. ive tried retessting the router, the printer, the modem. nothing. ive tried unistalling, reinstalling... nothing works!

ive disabled firewall, ive gone through the advanced settings, and tried disabling and enabling things, nothing.

ive done that Shell Hardware Detection thing aswell, and it didnt worl. it can print! but it wont scan. at all. ive followed all the suggestiong in here and it wont work.

also, my girlfriends computer works with the printer and scanner wirelessly without any problems(but i unofrtunatly broke it:/)

im not sure what ive done ring, this is frustrating, i have contracts to send!

any help i would LOVE

also, im sorry for the bad spelling, im in a rush is all:/

HP Recommended

Do you know how to go in and turn the services on\off using the start\run\services.msc? Go in there and check the status Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service, if its off start it. If if fails, then go to the shell hardware detection service and see if you can start that, once that is started go back and start the wia service and make sure they are set to automatic start.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.