Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OJ Pro 6835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to set up my machine to receive fax digitally onto my compluter.  The directions say to go to the Printer Assistant but there is no option to set this up there. On the machine itself I go to Setup, fax setup, preferences, HP Digital Fax, and it states that this feature is not setup, see documentation.  I've been all over HP's site, going around in circles.  I've tried shutting down my printer and uninstalling software, restarting my comp and then reinstalling, same thing.  Help!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Bouse

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

HP fax-capable printers are designed to work with traditional landline (analog) telephone services. Although not designed for digital and web-based phone services, faxing might work with the appropriate setup and equipment.

Use HP Digital Fax to automatically save incoming faxes to your computer, a folder on the network, or forward them to an email account. This feature helps save paper and ink as an alternative to printing faxes and can provide access to faxes when away from the printer. A traditional phone line (landline) connection is required to use HP Digital Fax.

Step 1: Prepare for the setup

To use HP Digital Fax, confirm the fax connection is set up, the HP software is installed, and that you have access to the folder where incoming fax files will be sent.

• Set up the fax connection to the phone line: Confirm your printer is connected to your landline or digital telephone service and can send and receive faxes. Go to HP Printers - How to Fax for steps to set up your printer for faxing.

• Install HP software and drivers: Go to 123.hp.com (in English) to install the full-feature software and driver package that includes HP Digital Fax.

• Confirm administrator rights: The administrator computer needs a username and password, and if saving to a network, make sure the folder has full read and write access.

• Computer must be on at all times: The destination folder's computer or server must be turned on and awake at all times. Faxes cannot be saved if the computer is off or in a hibernate state.

• Load paper in the printer input tray: Make sure paper is loaded before you begin, and that it does not run out of paper.

Step 2: Run the Digital Fax setup tool

Run the guided HP Digital Fax Wizard or Digital Fax Archive tool in the HP software to set up Digital Fax.

NOTE:

Available options during setup vary by printer model and how it connects to the computer. USB-connected printers can save faxes to a local folder only. Network-connected printers support saving to a folder on the network and fax to email.

Search Windows for your printer model name and number, and then click the name in the search results. Depending on your printer, HP Printer Assistant or HP Solution Center opens.

• In Printer Assistant, click the Print, Scan & Fax tab, and then click Digital Fax Setup Wizard.

• In Solution Center, click Settings > Fax Settings > More Fax Settings > Digital Fax Setup.

Follow the on-screen instructions for the selected setup type. To see if your printer supports additional Digital Fax options, look in the Fax or Setup menus on the printer control panel.

Digital Fax Setup Wizard in HP Printer Assistant

Use this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6830-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5390307/model... and follow Fx issue with the Digital phone services for Resolving Fax Problems.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

My HP Printer Assistant does not have the red highlighted box that says Digital Fax Setup Wizard.  Because of Windows 10?? 

HP Recommended

@Bouse

Thanks for the reply,

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-6830-e-all-in-one-printe... 

Once done try setting up the Digital faxing.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you Raj.  I did as instructed and the setup window did show up and I believe that I am good to go, thank you.  Question still.  I reinstalled the software and had to set up using USB.  After that was completed and I also added a printer (same one) but set it up to use wirelessly rather than USB, so I have two setups for the same printer.  If I start the printer wirelessly the HP Assistant window is much different, with not as many options. It may have been set up using the default drivers that came with Windows 10??   My question is do I have to reinstall the software again to use the digital fax option if my comp/printer setup is wireless, or should it work no matter how my printer is attached (wireless or USB)?

I probably could have worded the above a little better, hopefully you get what I am asking.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Bouse

Thanks for the reply,

M glad that it is working.

Digital fax should work both USB or Wireless, that should not be a problem.

Could you please help me with the screenshot of the HP Assistant window to assist you better.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Here is the HP Assistant using USB:

2018-12-11.pngHere is the screenshot of when I use the printer wirelessly, both pics taken within a minute of each other:

2018-12-11 (1).png

HP Recommended

@Bouse

Connect the printer using the USB.

Then, click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6830-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5390307/model... and follow instructions to Chang USB connection to a Wireless Connection.

Hope this helps you out!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I have a LaserJet 200 colorMFP M276nw and I am trying to install HP Digital fax so I can forward faxes to an email address. It is on my network and working perfectly from a print standpoint. I can scan to folders as well. I also have an analog phone line hooked up to it that I send and receive faxes on. I would like to just receive them via email and have set up an account with in the software. I have uninstalled the software, rebooted and downloaded the latest version and I still can't see Digital fax anywhere. Please let me know if there is a solution. Thank you very much.  

HP Recommended

The instructions state to d/l the printer set up to acquire the app Digital Fax.  The app is NOT included in the noted d/l.  Please provide the direct link to the app and it setup on a MAC.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.