Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Can you duplex scan using the adf with a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I would say no to automatic duplex scanning with the M281 ADF.

The specs do mention auto duplex printing but nothing about auto duplex scanning for this model:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m281fdw

You will have to proceed with manual duplex scanning by using the HP or a 3rd party scanning application.  Then modify the contents of the document before you publish as a final scan job so the pages are in the desired order and orientation. Or republish the document with something that can complete those steps post scan job creation.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Indeed no duplex scanning is offered for the printer but duplex printing only.

You may use the HP Scan software supplied with the device to manually scan a such.

Set the Page Sides option within the Scan software for manual two side scanning and follow the steps on screen, it will allow scanning multiple pages from teh top feeder and flipping them once while the pages will be auto arranged in the correct order by the software.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Will this work-around also work with the scan software in Windows?
HP Recommended
I should explain that I’m about to purchase a new printer. The HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw appears to fit all my requirements provided I can do occasional double-sided scanning of multiple page documents. I don’t mind turning a stack of pages and putting the stack through the ADF a second time and then getting software to stitch the two runs together, so if this can be done with HP software running in Windows 10 I would be delighted and will purchase this MFP printer. Thank you for your help.
HP Recommended

> if this can be done with HP software running in Windows 10 I would be delighted and will purchase this MFP printer.

Yes.  The M281 has a full software solution available for win10 which would include the HP Scan app.  You can manage your manual duplex scan jobs from there.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended
Thank you.
HP Recommended

Yes, but not very well at all....

Background - I purchased a Laserjet Pro MFP M281FDW this week (April 2018).  This was after being reassured by the assistant in Currys (Silverlink South Shields) that the printer (which I knew had only a single sided scanning document feeder) could cope ok with a double-sided, multi-page document.  I asked if this could be done by putting the bundle into the feeder and allowing it to be scanned once, stored in the printer's memory, then turning the bundle around, replacing it into the feeder for a 2nd pass to get the rear side of each page.  The printer would then output from memory the copied document, clearly printing this in duplex.  He confirmed this was possible. 

Sadly this does NOT work as described above when using ONLY the printer.  As is explained in the earlier posts in this thread, to achieve a double sided scan and copy you are encouraged to instead the HP scan software which is installed onto your PC.   Herein there is an option for double-sided scanning (see the screenshot below).  This option directs you to make two scans, turning the bundle around after the first.  These are then combined into a single pdf which you must save before finally printing out.   This process is far more clunky than being able to do it from the printer's control panel as might be expected from a standalone device.  Also, somewhat strangely, the scans come out much lower quality that just using the printer directly.  Sadly, after the second scan, although you see thumbnails of the document aranged in the right order, there is no PRINT button available - thus  you must go into Explorer, find the saved file and print it.    Come on HP, sort this out in a software update - add a print button as this will speed things up slightly  - I shouldn't need to save the scanned document.

Manual work-arounds -

1) Copying of a single-sheet,  double-sided doc is easy enough to do.  The M281 has a manual feed port on the front side (so you don't have to open the paper drawer) - but doing it this way is of course neither duplex scanning nor duplex printing !

2) Copying of a ten-sheet, double-sided doc (ie 20 sides in total) could be achieved without using a PC by putting the bundle on the feeder, selecting Copy on the printer and letting the feeder pull through the 10 sheets.  After the printed paper has cooled for a few seconds (to avoid jams), turn it over AND around and reinsert it into the top of the paper tray.  Turn around the bundle of originals and reinsert into the feeder and re etc) and then hit copy to do the other side.  Clearly somewhat labour intensive, but just about practical.

Summary -  Why did I chose the M281FDW instead of its bigger brother the M477?  The latter is only slightly bigger by a couple of inches but crucially has a genuine two-sided auto-document-feeder (ADF), and also a very slightly larger paper tray capacity.  The main reason for getting the M281 was that it was on a very good offer last week of just £229, less a further £100 via HP Cashback ie £129 total.  Its bigger brother the M477 was not on the same promotion and thus quite a jump up to £367 (again via the HP website).  So I decided the extra £230 saved by going for the smaller unit despite its single sided scanner was money better spent on replacement toner cartridges when required in due course.   It is also worth pointing out that the page capacity of the toner cartridges used on the M477 is almost double that of the M281 for almost the same money.  So if you expect to print over 1000 pages a month, it is probably worth going for the M477 in the long run.   

Conclusion - If you expect or need to copy double sided multi-page documents more than once or twice a year, you should really go for the M477.  Else the M281 on promotion is better value.  

Hope that helps.

hp scan software screenshot.jpg

HP Recommended

HP Smart recommended upgrading the software  ....and now I have lost automatic duplex printing 😕

Prior to the upgrade auto duplex printing was working fine.   How do I get auto Duplex printing back ?

Firmware Datecode 20190419 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.