cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

ENVY 5540 macOS Catalina (10.15.6) Support - for scanning

HP Recommended
Envy 5540
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Seems when I can get the scanner to scan, it works for a very short time before getting scanner error or busy etc.  Checking utility the unit is connected okay and this can be confirmed by the printer working correctly.
Only way I can find to get scanner working is to reset (factory) then again it works for few scans then fails again.

I've searched these forums and tried all of the examples, which are mainly how to setup for scanning, not how to fix the issue.  

Anyone else have flatbed scanner issues using Mac OS X 10.15.6 ?
Was thinking of just buying a new All in One (7830) , but searching the internet for options seems lot of people are having similar scanner issue regarding 10.15.

Any help greatly received 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15,201 15,179 1,189 1,174
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DaveG-587, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Have you tried using the Apple Image Capture? Did you make any changes to the printer or the computer recently?

Meanwhile, ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Try scanning.

If the issue persists, we can try updating the HP Easy Scan App. Here us how you do it-

Uninstall the printer software and reinstall it. Refer to the document HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)  for help. Once you have the latest software, try scanning.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi TEJ1602

Thanks for the help above, did not work.

Using HP Smart i have found out when the scanner fails, which seems to be after printer goes into Energy Save Mode.   The Printer Status on HP Smart says "Printer Error" although it will print, just not scan or copy etc.
If I unplug the mains to 10 secs to reboot, the printer returns to status of Ready and will scan.  But once it goes into Energy Save Mode, then the Printer Error is displayed and no scanning (Flatbed does not function) only printing !

For your information:
As per your guides, all HP software was removed, including HP folder and OS X Updated to latest 10.15.7 which was release today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Should also add, The printer has the latest firmware.
When changing the Sleep (Power Setting) on the printer from 5 mins to 15 mins, makes no difference, also it reverts back to 5 mins after a power off then on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TEJ1602 

Have tried everything you listed and other things suggested in the forums, nothing works other than powering down the printer and powering back up.
This power cycle then allows the scanner to work until the unit goes to sleep / power saving mode, after that only the printer will work, the scanner does not.

Is this a known issue that will be fixed with a new updated driver?
Will this be the same if I purchase a new 7830 ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15,201 15,179 1,189 1,174
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DaveG-587

We cannot say if this is a known issue as the new Mac OS update was released recently. Once our HP team has reports of issues with scanning/printing drivers it will be rectified.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you try alternate scanning methods, refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Mac) for help.

Thanks for understanding 🙂

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation