Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet CM4540 MFP
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have been trying to configure our CM4540 MFP to email a scanned document to my email address and have not been able to get it to work.  I have tried using my iMap email setup [GoDaddy is my emial host] and I have tried it using GMAIL and can not get it to work with either configuration.

Does anyone have a working solution or can make suggestions for me.

Thank you

EJ53

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,
A such may occur due to your Google account security settings.

First, open the following link and login to the same account as you set for the printer.

Note: if you are connected, sign out from your account, select your account and manually enter the password to ensure you indeed use the correct password, then click on Security from the left pane:
https://myaccount.google.com/security

Within the Signing in to Google section ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off".

Within the Less secure app access section ensure that the feature is on.

If it is Off, click on Turn on access (not recommended) and toggle on the feature. Otherwise, the verification will fail.
Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

For Gmail please use smtp.gmail.com with port 465 / 587 with TLS checked, among your Gmail address and password.

Now try setting up Gmail and check if that works.

For GoDaddy you would need SMTP access, not Imap, as well you would need to gather the correct SMTP server details from your provider.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Made the adjustments to Google as you stated and tested with both my Godaddy account (smtpout.netserver.net) and smtp.gmail.com.

In testing both domains, neither one worked.  Same error message -

The operation failed.  Please verify your configuration and try again.

Here are the summary settings -

SMTP address is smtp.gmail.com

SMTP SSL protocol is enabled

Validating certificates for outgoing server connections is True

Server uses port 587

Server requires authentication

Server usage: Send Email

Email larger than 20 MB will be split into multiple emails

I have only attempted a test email and I get the operation failed error message.

Also, when this starts working correctly, will Less Secure have to be turned on, and 2 step verification turned off?

Thank you

EJ53

HP Recommended

From the error this seems to be a communication problem, changing the DNS value to use Google Public DNS Services should likely help for my experience.

From the printer homepage open the Network tab, under IPv4 or Network Identification look for the DNS setting,

Set the Primary DNS as 8.8.8.8

Set the Secondary DNS as 8.8.4.4 and confirm the changes.

Now test the scan profiles and check for any difference.

And for your question the answer is likely yes, you may try enabling 2 steps and create an app password for your printer, then check if that allows the printer to connect, if it doesn't work you would likely need to disable 2 steps and enable allow less secure apps.

Can you see any difference?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.