Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I can't access my printer anymore through the webpage to edit the settings of the Embedded Web Server. I found the following to reset the printer to the default settings and executed the steps.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-Officejet-8710-locked-with-Admin-Password-don-t-kno...

However when I try to access the Embedded Web server settings, the printers webpage still asks for Username & Password. I tried "admin" for both, didn't work. I also tried "admin" with a blank password, and that also failed, just like password "12345678". 

Does anyone in the community have any idea what else to try? I want to log on to the printer to edit the scan-to-email settings.

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@MozesKriebels,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are having trouble accessing the printer EWS page. Is the printer connected to the network already? If so, let’s try to fix the issue by following the steps mentioned below:

I would suggest here is to try these steps here: (Please skip if you have already tried these steps).

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Now go to the Security Tab - Administrative Settings.
  • Uncheck the "Control Panel Lock".

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to restore the printer to the network settings: 

To restore the printer to the original network settings

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the

Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Network Setup.

3. Touch Restore Network Settings.

A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.

4. Touch Yes.

5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeet_singh, thanks for replying. Thanks as well for the link to the Guide, it will make future posts more clear.

I know the IP-address of the printer, and entered it into a webbrowser. It loads and I can see the Embedded Web Server settings for the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710; the printer is correctly connected to the network. The webpage however shows multiple features that are locked for editing, it requires me to Sign In to the printer to enable the admin settings.

My printer does not have a "Security" tab containing the advanced settings with a "Control Panel Lock" option. It has tabs Home, Scan, Fax, Web Services, Network, Tools, Settings. When select tab "Settings", I immediately get a pop-up to Sign in onto the printer, and it requests Username and password. It is this admin password that I don't know anymore.

As I could access the printer and I had already actioned the steps you mentioned in the private post before, I skipped step 2 and went through with the third option with the advanced reset steps again. After this reset, I powered the printer and had to set language, country, WiFi access code again, and had the printer initalize (printhead alignment). The IP address had not changed, so I refreshed my browser to load the printers Embedded Web Server page. Unfortunately nothing had changed, features still show locked and the printer wants me to sign in onto the printer when I try to access the "Settings" tab. I do expect this sign in was reset to the default settings after the advanced reset, but it is that username and password that I am now looking for.

I hope it is mentioned in the users guide or any booklet that came with the printer, but at thi moment I have not located these papers. I'm sure they are somewhere in my home though...

HP Recommended

Eureka... I just found my admin password. This password happened not be reset even when executing the advanced reset functionality, but as I found it I can access the settings again.

HP Recommended

@MozesKriebels,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
how do you find the default admin pass ? i didnt seem to found mine anywhere
HP Recommended

I'm not sure what the password was when I bought the printer. My problem was that I had changed the password and I could not log in anymore as I had lost it. As a solution I was trying to fully reset the printer so the password would go back to default. It turned out that even resetting the printer to factory settings would not also reset the Web server admin password... I was lucky enough to find the password again I had chosen, tried it, and it was accepted despite all factory resets I had executed.

HP Recommended
Same issue on HP Tank Wirless 415
HP Recommended

I reset the network settings as listed here and it even said it would reset the Embedded Web Server but it did not. I am locked out and I know I am using the correct password I chanded it to. I'm using "admin" as the username. I cannot find if that is the correct username or not. please help!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, did so found the solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.