Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My scanned documents to file are saving using unreadable text.  I know there is a simple solution but it escapes me and when searching the Internet, I get everything but the fix on this problem.  I believe it bhas something to do with enoding which I am quite unfamiliar with to my experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ebbill,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding scanned documents being saved as garbled or unreadable text. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Which application are you trying to scan from?
  • Did you try to save the scanned document in any other file format like JPG and check if it scans correctly?
  • Did you try to make some copies from the printer directly and check if the copies come out fine?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the printer.

For a start please try these steps:

Please try to make a couple of copies directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.

If it copies fine,

Please uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers by using these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 

• Then reinstall the full feature software from this link: http://hp.com/drivers please select the country and type the product# of the printer. Then select the correct operating system and check if that fixes the issue.
  • Also please uninstall and reinstall adobe reader once.
  • Please try to scan using HP scan and capture from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04675206  which shows how to download and use it along with FAQs for it.
  • You could also use the Hp all in one remote app to scan from windows 8 and check if it fixes the issue from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03897058 which gives you information on how to download, install and use it along with FAQs for it.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ebbill,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post regarding scanned documents being saved as garbled or unreadable text. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with clarity, I would require more information regarding this.

• Which application are you trying to scan from?
  • Did you try to save the scanned document in any other file format like JPG and check if it scans correctly?
  • Did you try to make some copies from the printer directly and check if the copies come out fine?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the printer.

For a start please try these steps:

Please try to make a couple of copies directly from the printer without any communication from the computer.

If it copies fine,

Please uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers by using these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 

• Then reinstall the full feature software from this link: http://hp.com/drivers please select the country and type the product# of the printer. Then select the correct operating system and check if that fixes the issue.
  • Also please uninstall and reinstall adobe reader once.
  • Please try to scan using HP scan and capture from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04675206  which shows how to download and use it along with FAQs for it.
  • You could also use the Hp all in one remote app to scan from windows 8 and check if it fixes the issue from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03897058 which gives you information on how to download, install and use it along with FAQs for it.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sad to say that your solution did not work as this is whqat transferred in the scan.

Yes, I can save the scanned document as a jpeg but that's not very professional is it?

I have a HP OFFICEjET 4630 INSTALLED ON A dELL DESK TOP using Windows 8.1 and the Home and Student edition of MSOFFICE and yes, I performed the tasks that you suggested.

HP Recommended

Hi @ebbill,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with a customer that has displayed great credentials as a technician. The copious troubleshooting steps performed by you is greatly appreciated. Fantastic effort. Kudos to a job very well done. 🙂

Please try this step. Please uninstall and reinstall adobe reader and check if this does the trick for you to open scanned and saved pdf files.

Also, if this does not work, you could try a different pdf reader like Foxit reader by downloading it from this link: https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/ to open scanned pdf files. It is safe and a free pdf reader like adobe reader.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Upbutton to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.