Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have tried everything I know to do, but nothing works..... I "can" receive Fax, but" Can Not" Send ?? keep getting error code 351....  When running a Fax Test Report everything Passes ??

We just moved in with my father, his fax machine feeder stopped working so we replaced it with ours, got it all set-up correctly, just will not send, I even tried turning on the ECM, "nothing", and then turned it back off, love my fax machine, worked perfectly till now, PLEASE Help me, we use this for my husbands business, daily, so now we are old-schooling it by picking up and dropping off all the paper work, need this fixed like yesterday, so please tell me you can do that for me, ASAP  ?!?!?!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KobyS

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Printer:

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer

Full Feature Software:

ile name: OJ8610_198.exe

Release details

Released: Nov 13, 2015

Version 32.3

Fax Troubleshooting documents:

Read what the manual has to say about the subject:

User Guide >Solve Fax Problems (Chapter 10 - Page 141) >

Subsections:

The printer is having problems sending and receiving faxes (Page 145)

The printer cannot send faxes, but can receive faxes (Page 148)

Fancy_Lines_1.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no magic.  Among other factors, Fax depends on clean phone lines (low noise), dependable line service from the point of origin all the way to the destination, decent and compatible hardware on both sides (sendor and recipient), up-to-date software...

As you undoubtably have found, Error 351 is usually caused by a one of a few underlying issues.

HP Fax Error Code document:

Error Code(s)
Definitions/Causes
Solutions
349 ECM
350 ECM
351 ECM
352 ECM
353 ECM
The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.
Retry the fax reception when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.
The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line.
Disable ECM. Errors might still occur, and might result in a degraded image quality on the received page. However, the ability to send the entire document improves.
The remote user pressed the Stop key while the reception was in progress.
Try sending at a lower transmission speed.
Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines might cause the remote machine to abandon the call.
Try sending at a lower transmission speed.

Some items to check / test / adjust:

• Lower the transmission speed.
  • Move the printer to a different location that accesses a different phone line.  While this will not help if the error is on the main line, the move might help if the issue is caused by an individual line / connection.

• Disconnect (other) devices from the phone line (for example, extra handsets (extensions), TV, game consoles) - test and check results.

• Phone line must be standard analog landline, nothing fancy (no fiber optics, no Internet phone).

• Phone cable can make a difference - you might need a two wire phone cable as opposed to a standard phone cable (four wires).

• Dialing speed might be a factor -- add a "pause" to slow down the dial-out (page 148)

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for all the help, how ever I have read and tried all that was suggested, and nothing..... So I just went and bought me a New Canon Fax/Printer and like magic, No problems with the phone lines on either end, just a second HP Fax/Printer gone bad, 😞  Good luck to all of you that still own one, just sayin !!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.