Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have recently changed from VERIZON service to RCN, and now have a VOIP line.  Now cannot FAX using same old office jet all-in-one with Windows XP.  It goes thru all the motions, dialing, etc., but printer returns a "no answer" response.  No error code results.  So it operates, but does not transmit.  Have been on phone with RCN, HP, and local PC guy.  No help.  Someone mentioned a VOIP adaptor.  Has anyone had luck solving this problem with a VOIP adapter?  And if so, which one?  Many thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

My 6500 E709 is printing just fine.  I seem unable to send a fax; my phone system is VOIP.  I input the number and I hear dialing and ringing, but there is no indication that the printer is actually using the phone connection:  my VOIP router shows no connection and I can use the phone to make a call while the printer appears to be ringing; I get a dial tone.  So the printer appears not to be using the VOIP connection.  I get a message saying the there was no answer.

Brita

HP Recommended

Hi,

1. Use this link below to access Faxing  over VOIP connection.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00302247

2. Also you can follow the below steps

Follow the steps below if your HP All-in-One or HP Fax product is connected to a VoIP network and cannot send or receive faxes.

1. If the fax is not sharing the phone line with other devices (e.g. modems, phones, etc...), make sure the phone cord that came with the HP All-in-One or HP Fax product is plugged into the 1-LINE port on the HP device and into VoIP gateway.

2. If the fax is sharing the phone line with other devices, such as a phone, answering machine, or modem, make sure additional devices are plugged into the 2-EXT port on the HP device.

3. Perform a Semi-Full Reset on the HP All-in-One or Fax device by following the instructions below:

1. Make sure the HP All-in-One or Fax device is turned on.

2. Unplug the power cord from the rear of the HP device.

3. Press and hold the # and 6 keys on the HP All-in-One or HP Fax control panel, and plug the power cord again on the rear of the HP device. Wait for five seconds before releasing the keys.

4. If the HP All-in-One or HP Fax turns off, press the On button on the control panel to turn it on again.

5. Follow the instructions prompted from the control panel display to configure the Language and Country/Area settings, and to complete cartridges/printheads alignment.

NOTE: Performing a Semi-Full Reset on the HP All-in-One or HP Fax device may imply the loss of some information (like Speed Dial settings or TCP/IP network values) previously saved in the device memory . Note down this information before resetting the unit and re-enter it again later.

• Make sure Country/Region configuration is set to Israel . To do so:

1. Press the Setup button on the HP All-in-One or HP Fax control panel.

2. Scroll through the Setup menu, select Preferences , and press the OK button.

3. Scroll through the Preferences menu, select Set Country/Region , and press the OK button.

4. Scroll through the Set Country/Region menu, select Israel , and press the OK button.

• Disable the Error Correction Mode option. To do so:

2. Scroll through the Setup menu, select Advanced Fax Setup , and press the OK button.

3. Scroll through the Advanced Fax Setup menu, select Error Correction Mode , and press the OK button.

4. Select the Off option, and press the OK button.

• Lower fax transmission speed to improve the fax ability to transmit over a VoIP network.

Fax speed is a major factor in fax transmission over VoIP. Currently there are three speed standards:

2. Scroll through the Setup menu, select Advanced Fax Setup , and press the OK button.

3. Scroll through the Advanced Fax Setup menu, select Fax Speed , and press the OK button.

4. Select the appropriate fax speed, and press the OK button.

NOTE: Contact your VoIP provider for recommended fax modem speed.Follow the steps below to set fax speed on your HP All-in-One or Fax device:
    • Fast - v.34 , which communicates at 33.6 Kbps.

• Medium - v.17 , which communicates at 14.4 Kbps.

• Slow - v.29 , which communicates at 9.6 Kbps.

• Change the fax resolution. To do so:

1. Press the Fax Menu button on the HP All-in-One or HP Fax control panel.

2. Scroll through the Fax menu, select Resolution , and press the OK button.

3. Select a resolution different from the one currently set, e.g. If the current resolution is Very Fine , select Standard , and press the OK button.

• Test the fax on a standard analog phone line. If it works properly, contact your VoIP services provider as they might have further options to improve the ability to send and receive faxes over VoIP networks.

•  

NOTE: Try sending or receiving a fax after every step. Stop troubleshooting if the issue is solved, and continue on the next one if the issue persists.
    Though I am an HP Employee, All of my posts express MY opinion, and not of HP, whatsoever
    HP Recommended

Hi There- thanks, but I still need an answer to my query about a VOIP adapter?  Do you know if that would solve my problem.  I tried what you suggested, but am not too saavy about this stuff and don't know if I did it correctly, but no joy so far.  thanks,  J

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.