Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 7612
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello.

Since the Catalina (10.15) macOS update my OfficeJet 7612 shows me "Automatic Document Feeder is Empty" when I want to scan a document from the glass using the HP Easy Scan tool. I've downloaded the new software (driver + essentials software) but with no luck. The message keeps popping up when hitting the "Scan" button after I place something on the glass.

Scanning via the document feeder works.

Scanning from the glass via macOS built-in option ("Printers & Scanners", "HP OfficeJet 7612", "Scanner") works if I select "Flatbed".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No new updates since 18th of December, as no need for an update on the HP Easy Scan app.

Updating your macOS version to 10.15.3 resolves the HP Easy Scan problem and it will then function correctly on Catalina:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06455960

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Easy Scan is not currently supported on Catalina, this is a known issue as listed below:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06455960

For now, you may scan using Image Capture or Printers and Scanners, till an update will become available in the future.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello.

I've noticed a new update (18/11) for the drivers and software. I downloaded and installed, but unfortunately the problem still exists. Any idea when this issue is resolved? I'm having difficulty to think that a company like HP doesn't rush to a solution for this matter. I'm assuming the 7012 model isn't the only one affected by this problem.

True, the suggestion made earlier is workable, but I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking "For now, you may want to purchase a Canon" when I need a new machine 🙂

Best regards,

HP Recommended

I agree with you, affecting also my Color LaserJet PRO MFP M477. Not a cheap printer!!!!

They have acknowledge the bug more than 6 months ago ... a new version of HP Easyscan did come out but no fix for now.

This is annoying and unprofessional.

HP Recommended

Agreed. It's been months. I want to be able to use other options aside from Image Capture. The long delay in updating drivers and code will prevent me from future HP purchases.

HP Recommended

Hello,

New version (18 december '19) brings no solution.

Installing the Easy Scan software lets you test the scanner in one of the final steps. It's possible to scan from the glass there (the test scans from the glass by default). Feeling hopeful I opened up the Easy Scan tool but the message is still there.

This is starting to annoy me ...

HP Recommended

I had the same problem using Catalina 10.15.2 with my HP Officejet 4650.

I trashed the HP Easy Scan app and downloaded it again from the app store. I inserted the document using the document feeder rather than the flatbed and was able to scan both sides of it (running it through twice) and output as a single PDF file. I still can't scan direct from the flatbed, however. 

I think it's a disgrace that HP still hasn't updated this software to do something so basic.

HP Recommended

Here is the workaround with which I can able to scan from Flatbed. 

1. Find the IP of the printer, (in printer Setup -> Network -> View wireless summary, grab IP, e.g http://192.168.0.105/

2. Open the browser and type the IP. e.g. http://192.168.0.105  You will see the HP UI, and select the second tab -> Scan.

3. Now you can scan from Flatbed.  once done, you will see the image, right-click to save/download as an image.

Hope this helps.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks, Senthilrr.

Your Webscan workaround does indeed work for me. It is, however, slower than a direct scan, and one still cannot do multi-page PDF scans. I still think it's unacceptable that HP cannot provide basic software that works for all its printers. Even worse is that customers have to spend time hunting for information on how to get their HP products to work.

Regards

Jayfull17

HP Recommended

Does the Web Scan have to be enabled; I'm unable to access any web interface via the IP address. My scanner flatbed is just unable to be used at all; none of the work arounds are working for me. (HP OfficeJet Pro 8620)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.