Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
laserjet pro mfp m130fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We recently had a new fax line installed in our office.  Our MFP cannot detect the dial tone.  The technician confirmed there is dial tone on the line. You can hear the dial tone when trying to send a fax, and you can hear it dial, but the dial tone continues until it goes fast busy.  We are using a 2-conductor cable which was working previously.

I made sure dial tone detect was on.  I restored factory default settings.  I unplugged from the wall and the MFP to reset.  When I run the Fax Test it reports "dial tone on telephone line: Fail".    Active phone line, phone cord connected to correct port & telephone line current tests all Pass.

I had a problem like this before and support had me perform a different type of reset, but I'm out of warranty now and don't know what that was.

Also, I suspect the new line, but don't know what should be checked besides that it has dial tone.

Any help would be appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mmo99

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I understand that you have an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw printer and it does not detect the dial tone for faxing. 

Step one: Reinitialize and check the fax machine

1. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the fax machine and from the wall outlet. The fax machine will reinitialize when it is plugged back in. You must disconnect the power cord, turning the fax off using the power button will not reinitialize the fax. Leave the power cord disconnected for now.

2. Verify that the phone cable is fully inserted into the fax machine. If your model has a removable line interface unit (LIU) that the phone line plugs into, verify that it is securely snapped in place.

If the fax is an HP Officejet R80 series model, also verify that the cable that runs from the automatic document feeder assembly to the back of the all-in-one base is connected.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the unit and then plug it in to the wall outlet. After the fax reinitializes and is ready, try to send and receive faxes again. If the problem still exists, continue to Step two: Check the connections.

Step two: Check the connectionsCheck the cable connections to the fax following the directions below.

NOTE: The HP Fax 1050 does not have a 2-ext or auxiliary port for use with other phone appliances.

1. Examine how the telephone cable is connected to the fax. The fax must be connected directly to the wall phone jack and the cable should be plugged into a jack on the fax that is labeled Line, 1 - Line, To Wall Jack, or has an image of a wall jack.

Any other devices that must be plugged into the same phone jack can be connected to the auxiliary ports on the fax as is shown below.

If you have changed any cable connections, try sending and receiving faxes to determine if you still have a problem.

Figure : Connecting multiple devices to a product with three ports

Figure : Connecting multiple devices to a product with two ports

2. Examine the cable from the wall jack to the fax. You must use a cable that has only two copper leads or wires as is shown in Call out 1 below (similar to what shipped with the fax). Replace any four-conductor cables with a two-conductor cable. If you have the cable that shipped with the fax and it is long enough, use that cable. You may also want to try changing the cable.

3. If you have other devices (caller ID boxes, answering machine, and etc.) connected to the phone line, disconnect all of these devices, even if they are not connected to the same phone jack or are in another room and then try to send and receive a fax.

• If you are able to send and receive faxes after disconnecting the other equipment, add the devices back one at a time until you discover the device that was causing the problem.

• If faxing still isn't working, continue troubleshooting with Step three: Check the phone line. Leave the other phone line devices disconnected for now.

Step three: Check the phone line

The following items are required to check the phone line:

• The phone number for another fax machine that can be used to verify whether the HP fax is sending and receiving correctly. This fax can be in the same building, on another phone line, or at another location with someone who can assist.

NOTE: It is also very helpful to call the person or company you are dialing and speak to them. They can tell you how their fax is behaving when called by your fax. This can be valuable information when trying to determine the problem.

• An ordinary single-line phone This phone will be used for testing the phone line and testing different faxing options.

Begin troubleshooting the phone line by following these steps:

1. Disconnect the phone cable from the fax machine and plug the cable into a standard single-line telephone.

2. Pick up the handset and listen for a dial tone. If no dial tone is heard, replace the telephone cable between the wall jack and the telephone with another two-conductor cable. If a dial tone cannot be heard after changing the cable, contact your telephone company for assistance.

3. Dial the number of a fax you have been trying to send a fax to:

• If the destination fax answers the line, continue to the next step.

• If the call fails to go through, try a different number. If the second call is also not answered, replace the phone cable and try again. If it still doesn't ring through after replacing the cable, contact your phone company for assistance.

4. Hang the phone up and either call your phone line number from a phone on a different line (like a cell phone) or have someone call your number. If the phone rings and you can answer it, continue to the next step. If the phone doesn't ring when called, replace the phone cable and try again. If it still doesn't ring after replacing the cable, contact your phone company for assistance.

5. Disconnect the phone cable from the telephone and reconnect it to the fax. Before making any calls, change the fax settings to those listed in the table below by pressing the Setup, Menu, or Fax Menu button (depending on the model) repeatedly to access the Basic Fax Setup menu or the Advanced Fax Setup Menu.

As an alternative you may also reset the fax machine to the factory default settings by selecting that option in the Maintenance, Status and Maintenance, or Tools menu or some all-in-one models allow you to use the software to change the fax settings.

• The following sequence of events will occur if the fax is working correctly:

Dial the same fax number you called in Step 3 using the front panel. Watch the front panel display and listen to the fax.

• When the fax machine starts to dial, you hear a dial tone briefly followed by the sound of the fax dialing. "Dialing" will appear in the front panel display

• When the fax you are calling answers the line, the fax machines will exchange tones and "Connecting" appears in the display. During the connecting phase, the two fax machines will compare capabilities, exchange information about how the fax is to be sent, and try to establish a reliable transmission speed.

• After a connection is established, the pages of the fax are sent. "Sending page 1" or similar message will appear in the display.

• If the fax is transmitted successfully, continue to the next step.

• If you do not hear a dial tone and/or the other fax does not answer the line, try calling another fax machine (the first may be busy) to verify that the result will be the same. 

• If you hear the other fax machine answer the line and starts "beeping", but the display on your fax does not switch from dialing to connecting, the fax machine is not detecting the tones from the other fax machine, 

• Have the owner of the other fax machine send you a fax. Watch the front panel display and listen as the fax tries to connect.

• If the fax is received, the problem is corrected and the fax machine is fully functional.

Finally, you may reset the printer. This will restore the printer to its original factory condition. A private message has been sent with the reset instructions.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted for further assistance.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I have performed all the steps you recommended.  Unfortunately, the fax is still failing.  Unless you have any other suggestions, I guess I will have to purchase a new one.  I must say I'm disappointed in this machine.  It is just over a year old.  No reflection on you!

HP Recommended

@mmo99

It looks like you were interacting with MKazi, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I have gone through your case and I understand your concerns and frustration.

I have escalated your concerns to HP’s Support Team to review your case.  You should be contacted within 4 business days (this does not include weekends or holidays).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I have been contacted by someone further up the chain.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.