Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6700 Premium All-in-one

I am able to receive a fax but cannot send one.  As the paper is scanned, it stops for about 10 seconds, then completes the send, but begins to print a fax log before the fax has been sent.  I am getting an Error 344*.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can refer to the following link for the Error 344 Definition:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu02549

Error might be due to the following:

1. The remote machine failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection was interrupted. These errors can occur if the phone lines in the area to be faxed are old or there is noise (static on the phone line). Other reasons can include power outages and other power-related problems.

2. The call-waiting service can cause this error. The click, heard for an incoming call, is actually a momentary disconnect of the line. 

Possible Solutions:

1. Retry the fax reception when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve. 

2. Disable ECM. Errors might still occur, and might result in a degraded image quality on the received page. However, the ability to send the entire document improves.

3. Try sending at a lower transmission speed. 

You can refer to the following link for the User Guide: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-6700-premium-e-all-in-one-printer-series-h711/4322...

Change ECM Setting: page 50

Set Fax Speed: page 63

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you are in the US or Cananda, there is a HP fax back service that you can try:

1. Send a one page black and white text fax to 1-888-hpfaxme (1-888-473-2963).
  2. When your fax is received by the HP Test Fax Service, we will generate a return fax to you within five minutes confirming that we received your fax. This verifies that you can both send and receive a fax with your fax machine.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00259105

If your problemn persist, try setting ECM (Error correction mode -- in fax setup) off, and also lower the fax speed to 'low'. 

Hope this help in your fax troubleshooting.

Please click the "Thumbs Up", to say thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue.

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I tried the suggested setting adjustments and I am still receiving the same error message. Any other fixes for the 344 error on sending faxes?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.