Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6830e
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

In trying to fax, I ran a test fax and it reported that I need to place phone cord into line 1. It WAS in line 1, but I switched it to 2 ext. but of course it didn't work. I replaced it into line 1 and it said the cord wasn't working. This is the same cord I've always used and used with the prior HP printer. This is a re-furbished one and it's worse than my new one I returned. However, any ideas to get the fax working? thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @teacher18

Are you using the 2-wire cable as suggested in the document? Also, do you have an answering machine? 

If so, please disconnect all other lines and then connect the telephone cable directly from the jack to the machine and check. 

If that works, follow these steps to set up the fax on a shared voice/fax line with an answering machine.

1. Unplug any telephone devices from the phone jack where you are connecting the HP printer.

2. Remove the white plug from the port labeled 2-EXT on the rear of the printer.

3. Unplug your answering machine phone cord from the phone jack, and then connect the answering machine phone cord to the port labeled 2-EXT on the rear of the printer.

NOTE:

If you do not connect your answering machine directly to the HP printer, your answering machine might record fax tones from a sending fax machine, and then the HP printer might not receive faxes.

4. Connect one end of the phone cord that came in the box with the printer to the phone jack, and then connect the other end to the port labeled 1-LINE on the rear of the printer.

Important! Make sure that you use the phone cord that came with the printer to connect the printer to the telephone wall jack. If you do not, you might not be able to fax successfully.

5. Optional step: If your answering machine does not have a built-in phone, for convenience you can connect a phone to the rear of your answering machine at the OUT port.

Now, run the fax test and check if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @teacher18 - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome back to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

I understand that you are facing issues while setting up the fax on your replacement printer. Did you try to swap the ends of the fax cable? If not, try to swap the ends and check if that helps.

If the issue persists, go to http://hp.care/2ucW5o7 and follow the steps under “I can't send or receive faxes. What should I do?”

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks but I've tried both and it still doesn't go through.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

M

HP Recommended

Hello, @teacher18

Are you using the 2-wire cable as suggested in the document? Also, do you have an answering machine? 

If so, please disconnect all other lines and then connect the telephone cable directly from the jack to the machine and check. 

If that works, follow these steps to set up the fax on a shared voice/fax line with an answering machine.

1. Unplug any telephone devices from the phone jack where you are connecting the HP printer.

2. Remove the white plug from the port labeled 2-EXT on the rear of the printer.

3. Unplug your answering machine phone cord from the phone jack, and then connect the answering machine phone cord to the port labeled 2-EXT on the rear of the printer.

NOTE:

If you do not connect your answering machine directly to the HP printer, your answering machine might record fax tones from a sending fax machine, and then the HP printer might not receive faxes.

4. Connect one end of the phone cord that came in the box with the printer to the phone jack, and then connect the other end to the port labeled 1-LINE on the rear of the printer.

Important! Make sure that you use the phone cord that came with the printer to connect the printer to the telephone wall jack. If you do not, you might not be able to fax successfully.

5. Optional step: If your answering machine does not have a built-in phone, for convenience you can connect a phone to the rear of your answering machine at the OUT port.

Now, run the fax test and check if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.