Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Final scans are black. Preview scan is fine.  I can make adjustments to the final scan with no problem.  

When the final scan is complete all I get is a black image.  

I am using Vista and a Scanjet G4050.  I got the same result using the same scanner on a computer running Xp with the XP drivers loaded.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi M38CDN,

From what you're describing, it sounds like the scanner bulb is starting to malfunction. My guess is that the preview isn't using full power as it's not really trying to make a quality scan. Once the full scan goes through, that's when the hardware fails. It's pretty odd that two computers would be having software issues, so it's got to be something with the machine itself.

I would try the suggestions in this troubleshooting guide, and if that doesn't work, I'll link the number to phone support as well - in case they have a reset they can do on the scanner.

Scans are Blank, Totally Black, Have a Distinct Colored Tint over the Entire Scanned Image, or Displ...

You can contact HP support in North America at 1-800-474-6836 or find the local telephone number for your country here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html Please look for the category "Technical Support After you Buy"

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi M38CDN,

From what you're describing, it sounds like the scanner bulb is starting to malfunction. My guess is that the preview isn't using full power as it's not really trying to make a quality scan. Once the full scan goes through, that's when the hardware fails. It's pretty odd that two computers would be having software issues, so it's got to be something with the machine itself.

I would try the suggestions in this troubleshooting guide, and if that doesn't work, I'll link the number to phone support as well - in case they have a reset they can do on the scanner.

Scans are Blank, Totally Black, Have a Distinct Colored Tint over the Entire Scanned Image, or Displ...

You can contact HP support in North America at 1-800-474-6836 or find the local telephone number for your country here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html Please look for the category "Technical Support After you Buy"

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the right, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
HP Recommended

Thanks evrer so much.  I ended up getting another scanner as there were also other issues.  I would have responded earlier but I had lost my sign in untill today.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.