Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am having a problem with my all- in- one printer, I can not scan to computer, I get a message from windows security  that there is no digital certificate or words to that effect,  can any one help I would be most grateful if you can, many thanks

RL20

HP Recommended

I bought a Dell 620i 64 bit with Windows 7 Ultimate. About the same time a bought and HP 4500 for this computer and a 5510 for my wife's Windows Vista computer.  When I couldn't get the 4500 to work properly on the 620 so I swapped printers and have now worked with HP for 5 months on the 5510 printer connection.  Recently I had a need to scan (I hadn't used the scan function before) and the 5510 exhibited the same issues as outlined in the other parts of this thread.  HP does not have the answer.  Currently they are escalating the issue, but I have no hope of a resolution.  I am starting to think that it is a Microsoft Windows issue that is causing an incompatibility.

The printer works, and ePrint works but the scan function does not respond. This has been great fun and has cost HP a lot of worker time troubleshooting this mess. If someone finds a MS Windows connection, please advise.

HP Recommended

For all the folks that have recently replied to this thread that can print but not scan, can you please run the Scan diagnostic utility and report back on its results? 

Thanks

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

I uninstalled the printer, downloaded the latest driver, and installed it. Now I can both print and scan.

But sacn to computer still doesn't work.

Scan diagnostic utility didn't find any errors..

HP Recommended

I ran Scan Diagnostic 4.2 using HPSDU.exe and my printer was not detected.

HP Recommended

I gave up. Googled "HP scanner conflict with Windows 7" and found VueScan. Cost me $40, but it WORKS, unlike the HP drivers for Windows 7. 

HP Recommended

Hi Colargol66-

We need to make sure that Scan to Computer is enabled now on your system.   If you open the Icon for your printer on the desktop, you should see "Scanner Actions".   Open this and goto "Manage Scan to Computer".   If it's disabled, enable it and try scanning again from your front panel.    If  it's enabled, try disabling and re-enabling it to see if that helps.  

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Tome19-

I am really sorry that we weren't able to resolve your issue.   If you have any patience left for HP products, can I ask you a few more things?

1)  I assume that you've fully uninstalled the 4500 and 5510 software on your Dell 620, correct?  And then just reinstall the 5510 sw.

2)  Have you tried a USB connect of the 5510 on your 620?   Did that work?

3)  You said that HPSDU does not show the printer connected.   If you go to Device Manager, and look at "Imaging Devices", do you see your scanner listed there?   If not, then clearly the installation of the device failed on your system.  Advise if this is the case.

4)  If you DO see your device listed in Device Manager, and  you feel comfortable in RedEdit, would both of you be so kind as to do a registry export of the following registry location (it's the WIA/StillImage devices instances key):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}

Just open "RegEdit", navigate to this key, right click on it and select "Export".    ZIP this up and either email it to me or post to this forum.   I can't guarantee that I will be able to figure it out from this, but it can't hurt

Thanks

Jeremy

HP Recommended

Jeremy,

You are correct, I have lost patience with HP troubleshooting. I have had two promises of escalating the issue with no call backs, both within the last two weeks. I guess they figured that based on the number of times I have called and the length of the troubleshooting sessions that the company was wasting time and money on me.

The HP tech reps have gone through the steps you recommend with no consistent results. Shutting down the computer sometimes caused the contact with the printer to be lost when in the wireless mode.

I have installed VueScan drivers and have had to go to a direct USB connection.  I have lost ePrint because of this. Something of a loss, but manageable.

Your concern is appreciated, but I have decided to go with what works. Sorry to say, there won't be any HP printer/scanners in my future purchases.  For that matter, neither will there be from other manufacturers until I determine that there are no compatibility issues when mated with my existing computer set up.

HP Recommended

Hi Tome19-

Understood on HP... i'd be equally frustrated with as much time as you've wasted on this.

Does your VueScan support wireless?   You said you had to go to a direct USB connection.   Just curious as to why you had do this ...(and was hooking the HP 5510 device up via USB an option?  Did that ever work?) 

My concern here is if your router is having intermittent wireless problems.   The issues you describe sound more like wireless problems and not necessarily device issues.  If VueScan gave you similar problems, that has me suspicious.  Wireless is one of those network connectivities that is subject to all kinds of interference/issues that don't exist with normal hardwired connections.   

If a device offers USB/Wired/wireless connecivities, I would first try with USB.  If that works fully, then try a hardwired network connection.   If that also seems to work well, but wireless fails, then I would take a close look at your wireless router.

I wish you best of luck with your new scanner..

Jeremy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.