Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 7612
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I just scanned about 60 pictures using HP Scan to scan to PDF. Everything went great until I tried to save the scanned files. Save is greyed out. I looked online and saw that there's a program that will fix the issue, but it requires deleting the program I'm using now, which is holding those 60 scanned images. I really, really don't want to have to go back through and pull all the pictures out of their albums just so I can rescan them. Please, is there a way to find the images that appear perfectly on my computer right now? I'm sure there must be a temp save of the images in the Mac library where I could grab the pictures and save them, I just don't know where to start looking to find the temp files. 

Thanks for your help! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you, and sorry for my earlier snarkiness, I was frustrated at the prospect of losing all the time I'd spent scanning the pictures, not to mention having to go back through various albums trying to find the same pictures again. 

The pictures have to be stored somewhere, because I can pull up every one of them and edit them. I suspect they're hidden in a database though, since I went through every file, folder, and hidden file that would seem to be applicable, trying to find them.

The nice thing is that I did come up with a usable solution, maybe it'll help someone else in the same situation:

The only 2 options are to save (which is greyed out and won't work) and to print. Choosing the print option brings up the print box, which gives a choice of printers to use, including sending the file to PDF. So, I have backed up the images as a single PDF file, and I can edit it and grab the images from there, so that works. 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I do not know where HP Scan stores the temp files.

If you change the format to JPEG will it allow you to save them?

Are you sure you have write priveledges to the folder you are trying to save?

If you are trying to save to an external drive can you try something like the desktop instead?

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

I do have write priviledges (just trying to save them to my Docs folder). HP Scan doesn't give me the option to change the format, Duh, can I claim not enough coffee (even though it's lunch time here)? I tried changing to every format option available, but it doesn't work (PDF, JPEG, TIFF, etc). I can save (which it won't let me do, of course) or send to printer...oh, or delete. Those are my 3 options (I can also edit, crop, etc., but none of that helps me. 

I actually tried deleting one to see if it would show up in my trash (even changed my settings to show hidden files to see if that made a difference). It doesn't show in trash, so that doesn't help either. 

I was trying to save to my Mac, but tried saving to the backup HD to see if that would work, but no, that doesn't work either. Any other thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP Scan is a previous HP software, not intended for High Sierra.

From your Applications folder or its HP sub-folder delete any existing HP Scan or HP Easy Scan application, delete it by moving it to trash, then empty the trash.

Next, install the latest HP Easy Scan below, it will be installed within the Applications folder:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-easy-scan-1_...

Finally, ensure your drivers are up to date by clicking the Apple icon, select About this Mac and then press Software Update.
Click Store on the top menu bar, click Reload Page, click Update All if any updated are available.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

ShilomiL, That doesn't fix my problem though...saving all the images I scanned. Removing the software will delete all the images, so that doesn't help...otherwise, it would be a simple fix. To be honest, HP needs a warning that the app doesn't work with High Sierra, since to all outward apperances it does, **until** you try to save. You can do every other option on the software except save, without getting any kind of warning that the software is out of date or that it won't work and there's a new program to use. And, I've used High Sierra from the time I purchased this printer from the store and this is the first time I've run into this issue. So you'd think that the software wouldn't have installed if it wouldn't work on the computer. 

So now, I need to be able to back up the work I've already done...and then, and only then, will I be able to delete the program and install the new one. Because HP Scan shows all the scanned images, the images by necessity have to be stored on my computer somewhere, and if they are, then it's possible to access them and save them (in whatever format they're in) to reload once the new software is installed. 

Sorry, your post is not an accepted solution, it really doesn't answer my question. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question, not always the required answer would be the answer.

HP Scan was provided as part of the Full Feature HP Software for 10.11 or earlier, also on 10.11 it already was not fully compatible as described below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-7610-wide-format-e-all-in-one-series/5153788/model...

Your printer is provided with HP Easy Scan as part of its software for years already, since OS X 10.12 (As part of the HP Easy Start installation).

An existing software will not always be compatible with an upgraded operating system and a program which was not tested on such an operating system may work and may not, you can never know as an OS structure always being changed with OS updates...

I personally do not know if any temp files might be stored and if those can be somehow extracted, if anyone may have any idea where the files are stored (although I wouldn't count too much about getting such information, just sharing my thoughts)

By the way, if there is any prefix field within the HP Scan save dialog I would try adding any prefix and see if it may then respond differently by any chance while trying to save, I do recall some issue not allowing to save due to lack of a prefix on HP Scan some years back.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you, and sorry for my earlier snarkiness, I was frustrated at the prospect of losing all the time I'd spent scanning the pictures, not to mention having to go back through various albums trying to find the same pictures again. 

The pictures have to be stored somewhere, because I can pull up every one of them and edit them. I suspect they're hidden in a database though, since I went through every file, folder, and hidden file that would seem to be applicable, trying to find them.

The nice thing is that I did come up with a usable solution, maybe it'll help someone else in the same situation:

The only 2 options are to save (which is greyed out and won't work) and to print. Choosing the print option brings up the print box, which gives a choice of printers to use, including sending the file to PDF. So, I have backed up the images as a single PDF file, and I can edit it and grab the images from there, so that works. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Te-ge

Nice catch!  :facepalm:

Very happy you found a solution!

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.