Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (53 Views)

HP 8710 can send not receive faxes

Product Name: Office Jet 8710
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

No problem receiving and sending faxes up to this past week. Now printer will send faxes but not receive.  Receiving faxes  only srimulate a very short ring and then fails.  Machine is set for two rings to answer.  Dedicated fax telephone line, nothing else connected.  Have checked all fax settings  and done "restore to default" numerous times.  Unistalled printer software and reinstalled a fresh copy. . .no change.  Please help, thanks.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (24 Views)

Re: HP 8710 can send not receive faxes

@pauleni

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you Smiley Happy 

As I understand you are unable to send or receive faxes,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you tested the phone line and phone cable?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Step 1: Previous steps

Make sure that the following items are available to complete the troubleshooting steps included in this document:

• Another fax device for testing: The phone number of another fax machine that can be used to verify whether the HP fax is sending and receiving correctly. This fax can be placed in the same building (on another phone line) or at another location with someone who can assist.

• A single-line telephone: This phone will be used for testing the phone line.

• The original HP Fax Cable supplied with your unit.

Step 2: Testing the phone line and phone cable

This step is aimed at testing both the phone line and the phone cable. To do so, follow the instructions listed below:

1. Unplug the phone cable from the HP Fax rear.

2. Plug the phone cable into a single-line phone.

3. Pick up the handset and listen for a dial tone.

• If no dial tone is present, then replace the phone cable with another one, and listen again for a dial tone.

• If a dial tone is present now, unplug the phone cable from the test phone, and plug it into the fax line port on the HP Fax rear (see image below).

Once this is done, please test the sending and receiving functions of the HP fax product.

• If no dial tone is present yet, then stop here, and contact your telephone service provider for assistance.

• If a dial tone is present, follow the steps below:

1. Dial a local phone number and verify that the call can be completed.

• If the outgoing call cannot be completed, please stop here, and contact the telephone service provider for assistance.

• If the outgoing call is completed correctly, continue troubleshooting (Step 2).

2. Have someone dial your number from another phone line to verify that the phone rings and the incoming call can be answered (allow three rings before answering).

• If the line rings briefly and then stops, another device may be answering the line. This device could be a credit card machine or a computer modem connected to the phone line and set to answer incoming calls. Try to identify which device is answering the call, disconnect it from the line, and test again.

• If the incoming call cannot be received, stop here, and contact the telephone service provider for assistance.

• If the incoming call is completed correctly, skip to the next section: Verifying the fax configuration and settings.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation