Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting conflicting information on this question so I'm hoping someone can clarify this once and for all:

Am I able to scan using OCR with my 8720 all-in-one-printer/scanner?

With a previous HP all-in-one I was able to do so, right through the HP software. With the 8720 I am unable to do so. I thought this was part of the software so either it's been removed or I'm confusing it with my previous printer. I have seen a thread that says yes and another thread that says no. If not, any suggestions on how to achieve this would be welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, OCR is included as part of the Full Feature HP Software for the HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer.

First, follow the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting Fix Scanning:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

If you are guided to install the full feature software, follow the steps on screen to install it and then scan using the HP Scan Software.

From your printer software (HP Officejet Pro 8720 icon) select Scan > Scan a document or photo.
From there select Save as Editable Test to scan OCR.

If all test passes but yet, this option does not appear, download the printer software, select Install Additional Software and ensure the IRIS OCR program is installed with your HP printer:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes, OCR is included as part of the Full Feature HP Software for the HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer.

First, follow the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting Fix Scanning:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

If you are guided to install the full feature software, follow the steps on screen to install it and then scan using the HP Scan Software.

From your printer software (HP Officejet Pro 8720 icon) select Scan > Scan a document or photo.
From there select Save as Editable Test to scan OCR.

If all test passes but yet, this option does not appear, download the printer software, select Install Additional Software and ensure the IRIS OCR program is installed with your HP printer:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ8720/OJ8720_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thank you Shlomi. For whatever reason I did not have the IRIS/OCR software installed, even though I had installed it previously. (As I followed your process, I recognized it from my past installation.) I appreciate your response!

HP Recommended

You are much welcome @JTrice77.

Glad to know that you are now able to scan using OCR correctly!

Cheers,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

A reminder that the above Print and Scan Doctor link is for those who use Win7 or newer.  If you still use Vista, then that above link is invalid since that program will not run for Vista.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.