Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2544
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ,

I'm getting "HP Deskjet 2540 Series not found" -Error Message when I tried to scan..

I've recently upgraded to windows 10..I'm getting the same error message When I trobleshoot using "Print and Scan Doctor" .

Please help me out fo fix this..

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @HpUser83,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the scan error "HP Deskjet 2540 Series not found" you're getting when scanning from your HP Deskjet 2544 All-in-One Printer to your Windows 10 computer. There is likely a software or driver error occurring. Can I please have you follow the steps below to resolve this error. 

If using a USB Cable connection between your printer and computer, please disconnect that cable now. 

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Deskjet. If you see your HP Deskjet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Deskjet. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Deskjet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Deskjet driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard.Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download and install the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer
  3. If using a USB Cable connection, avoid plugging in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to

Once the installation has completed successfully please test scanning. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey @HpUser83,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the scan error "HP Deskjet 2540 Series not found" you're getting when scanning from your HP Deskjet 2544 All-in-One Printer to your Windows 10 computer. There is likely a software or driver error occurring. Can I please have you follow the steps below to resolve this error. 

If using a USB Cable connection between your printer and computer, please disconnect that cable now. 

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Just type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your HP Deskjet. If you see your HP Deskjet listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP Deskjet. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Deskjet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP Deskjet driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard.Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download and install the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer
  3. If using a USB Cable connection, avoid plugging in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to

Once the installation has completed successfully please test scanning. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot X-23...Its working fine now...Your detailed explainations was so helpful...:smileyhappy: 

I really appreciate your help very much X-23...

Thank you...

HP Recommended

After following instructions, deleting all, reinstalling I still get same error message. I have Windows 8.1. I have tried with and without wifi. The printer worked with wifi for a while (3 mo.), then by usb cable after no wifi for about a month, and now my computer cannot find the deskjet 2540 by wifi or usb.

I have deleted all in devices, devices and printers, %temp%, recycle bin and control panel uninstall several times.

What to do?

HP Recommended
Greetings. Running Win 10. Followed all steps but scanner still not recognized. Worked fine under Win 7. HP Imaging Device was not found. Extended info as follows. 8,(1,0,-2147024770). Can scan using HP scan and capture app.
HP Recommended
Office jet 5780
HP Recommended

Worked great on HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5057 (5000 series) and OS: windows 8.1 !!!

Thank you @X-23 ! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.