Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When trying to scan just comes up with:No computer found !

Tried ALL suggested options , tried reloading the disc provided,The troubleshooting section gives option to choose type of connection,ie:Wireless or USB/ethernet etyc , so i choose my one - Wireless , and the following instruction seem to relate to USB connection cos it keeps telling me to disconnect USB Port to uninstall product??? Well i try to uninstall anyways and it comes up No Printers Found ???

So i try to reinstall using disc provided but it does not appear to work ,though on looking at disc it does not say on it for Windows 10 ,is there a disc available for Windows 10 ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Chopper,

I detect two ideas.  You say the printer works is connected to wi-fi, but it does not scan.  In addition, you discuss installing the software from the disc that comes with the printer.

First, to understand the printer’s current status, can you print from the computer.  Does the copy function work (which function is entirely within the printer).  Are you trying to scan from the front display panel.

So as far as the scanning, there could be two things. 

1)  The printer and computer need to wirelessly connect. (as far as your comment about the USB cable, that just shows up during install just in case.  Ignore it if you are wirelessly scanning.)

So, to check the wireless connectivity, lets do a Reboot of the Components thus: 

Turn off router/modem (unplug if needed), the printer and the computer.  Leave the router/modem off 60 seconds.  Then turn on each successively in this order:  router/modem, printer and computer.  Let each completely turn on (no flashing lights or noises as the printer warms up) prior to the next one.  Any results.  Try scanning.  If works, forgo any further steps.  Remember this procedure for future reference.

2)  You may need to ENABLE Scan to Computer using HP Printer Assistant, which is part of the printer’s software.  NOTE:  Please let me know if you cannot find what I describe, because recent Windows 10 updates have screwed up the HP Printer Assistant. 

In the HP Printer Assistant (see below at **).  Click Scan > Enable Scan to Computer > Enable.  It should now work from the front display panel.

Then for scanning a PDF or JPEG, click Scan a Document or Photo, which opens a Dialog with shortcuts.  Enter your preferred  details for one of the shortcuts; note if you change items a "Modify this Shortcut" pops up.  You can save your shortcut. 

(**)  Find the HP Printer Assistant at Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers.  Locate the image of the 5540.  Right click and click Open.  Click on Printer Assistant.  Does it give the opportunity to click Scan?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as your attempts for the Software Install, there are specific steps.  Please get back if interested about that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello Chopper,

I detect two ideas.  You say the printer works is connected to wi-fi, but it does not scan.  In addition, you discuss installing the software from the disc that comes with the printer.

First, to understand the printer’s current status, can you print from the computer.  Does the copy function work (which function is entirely within the printer).  Are you trying to scan from the front display panel.

So as far as the scanning, there could be two things. 

1)  The printer and computer need to wirelessly connect. (as far as your comment about the USB cable, that just shows up during install just in case.  Ignore it if you are wirelessly scanning.)

So, to check the wireless connectivity, lets do a Reboot of the Components thus: 

Turn off router/modem (unplug if needed), the printer and the computer.  Leave the router/modem off 60 seconds.  Then turn on each successively in this order:  router/modem, printer and computer.  Let each completely turn on (no flashing lights or noises as the printer warms up) prior to the next one.  Any results.  Try scanning.  If works, forgo any further steps.  Remember this procedure for future reference.

2)  You may need to ENABLE Scan to Computer using HP Printer Assistant, which is part of the printer’s software.  NOTE:  Please let me know if you cannot find what I describe, because recent Windows 10 updates have screwed up the HP Printer Assistant. 

In the HP Printer Assistant (see below at **).  Click Scan > Enable Scan to Computer > Enable.  It should now work from the front display panel.

Then for scanning a PDF or JPEG, click Scan a Document or Photo, which opens a Dialog with shortcuts.  Enter your preferred  details for one of the shortcuts; note if you change items a "Modify this Shortcut" pops up.  You can save your shortcut. 

(**)  Find the HP Printer Assistant at Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers.  Locate the image of the 5540.  Right click and click Open.  Click on Printer Assistant.  Does it give the opportunity to click Scan?

As far as your attempts for the Software Install, there are specific steps.  Please get back if interested about that.

I am not an HP employee; just searching for helpful answers for queries on the forum.

A reply is greatly appreciated, if suggestions help or not, as the multitude of volunteers on the forums respond to lots of queries, which requires a great deal of time.  Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.