Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6978
macOS 10.15 Catalina

When I go to scan a document on my Mac using the macOS Catalina using the HP Easy Scan software, I get a error message when I try to scan using my flatbed scanner. I went in the edited my scanning options and selected to scan using the flatbed scanner. When I click on the scan button I receive the message below:

Automatic Document Feeder is Empty

No items were detected in the Automatic Document Feeder. Please place your originals into the Automatic Document Feeder and start the scan again.

Any help on this would break greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE:  macOS 10.15.3 has the fix for this issue

Unfortunately, HP Easy Scan is not currently supported in macOS Catalina.

For devices like the OfficeJet Pro, the symptom is exactly as described. Anything loaded through the ADF will work fine but scanning from the flat bed generates the ADF Empty error.
HP is working to restore the full functionality of HP Easy Scan in macOS Catalina.

In the interim you can use Image Capture to retrieve scans from either the flat bed or the ADF.

Image Capture instructions are in the linked post above.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

UPDATE:  macOS 10.15.3 has the fix for this issue

Unfortunately, HP Easy Scan is not currently supported in macOS Catalina.

For devices like the OfficeJet Pro, the symptom is exactly as described. Anything loaded through the ADF will work fine but scanning from the flat bed generates the ADF Empty error.
HP is working to restore the full functionality of HP Easy Scan in macOS Catalina.

In the interim you can use Image Capture to retrieve scans from either the flat bed or the ADF.

Image Capture instructions are in the linked post above.

HP Recommended

Thank you IronBadger for the temporary fix while HP is continuing to restore the full function of HP Easy Scan for macOS Catalina.

HP Recommended

I do not have "Image Capture" at my Mac. Possibly the name will be different in a German system.

Any idea when the problem will be solved?

HP Recommended

Any news as to when Easy Scan will be updated to 64-bit and available for use under Mac OS X Catalina?

HP Recommended

A better workaround than Image Capture (IMHO) is as follows, simply using Catalina's own Settings:

• Via: Settings/Printers & Scanners
    • Select the printer image
      • Select the tab Scan (Top of right panel)
        • Select “Open Scanner…”
  • When window “Scanner” opens…
    • Select destination (like Desktop)
    • Select “Show Details” if wished.
      • Select any further choices.
HP Recommended

Does HP have any target date for updating Easy Scan for Catalina.? Surely they must have a project timeline>

HP Recommended

I've been using the Scan to Computer-Webscan function on the Embedded Web Server as a workaround to scan documents on the glass, but this approach works better for multi-page documents. Thanks, IronBadger.  Kudos

HP Recommended

macOS 10.15.3 (released 1/28/2020) contains the fix for this issue.  Once updated HP Easy Scan will be able to scan from the glass or the ADF as normal.

I did notice that if the printer is in sleep mode, some times an error will be reported.  But if you wake the printer by inserting a page in the ADF or touching the screen you will be able to scan normally.

HP Recommended

Thanks to IronBadger for communicating this.  I can confirm that with macOS 10.15.3 both the glass and the ADF are scanning properly on my OfficeJet Pro 6978.  Thanks also to HP for emailing notice of the posting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.