Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased the HP Envy 7855.  The file types for scanning are .tiff, bmp, jpg, png.

What do I need to do to scan to pdf?  It is really the only file type I use.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDFs scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

HP Recommended

This did not work - it says "The HP ENVY Photo 7800 was not found"

HP Recommended

That worked for me - opening Scan Extended.  But, I don't want to have to open that program everytime I scan.  It should be a menu option (default, for me) on the printer itself.  It still only saves as a picture (.jpg, etc.) when you select Scan on the printer console. Big shortcoming for me, since 98% of my scans would be to PDF.

HP Recommended

My previous HP had PDF as a scanning option on the printer screen... I find this new version very inconvenient! I have found a way around it, but it requires me put my document in the printer...go to  my PC, go to the scanner option, choose the type of scan, wait for the scan... and then go back to the printer to retrieve my scan... and/or place the next sheet! Guess I am getting my exercise... but how inconvenient is that? !!! Whining!!! 

HP Recommended

This was a very good post.  That link worked for me.  Now, I can convert all my scanned documents from tiff to PDF with ease.  It was not complicated.  My Printer is the 7855 as well.  It just runs slower than when you print something.  But it did the job.  And the words on the screen are in bold.  I can see well with my super defective eyes. 

I clicked also on the other link and downloaded it as well.  Not really sure how fast it says it would be.  Will find out when I use it in the near future.

👍Thumbs up👍 to Sabretooth04!  And thank you very much!  Saved my day!

HP Recommended

i just tried the NAPS2 (Not Another PDF Scanner 2).

It is so GOOOOD!!!   Beyond EXCELLENT!

It is fast and easy to understand and to use.  

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

👍to the "enth" power!

HP Recommended

You are obviously a very experienced and knowledgeable Windows guru. I, on the other hand..... got lost between the line where I go pick up the .msi file via ftp and "After it is downloaded and installed."  It got downloaded all right, but "installed" is another story.

I have been searching for instructions on how to install an .msi file.  The instructions I found read:

Start a command prompt and navigate to the folder where the installer is located. At the command prompt, type <installer name> extract "<full path to folder for .msi files>" then press Enter.

When I searched for a file name that included "install", there were millions of results (OK, so I exaggerate...but only a little).  Can you provide more complete directions for the sake of win-fools like me?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.