Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
MFP M281cdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to duplex scan from the feeder on my printer; the default app for the printer did not have an option for 2-sided scan. After some research, I found another forum post, that recommended installing the HP Scan Extended application and selecting 2-sided scan. I found the setting for 2-sided (manual) as shown below, but even when I use that setting the application never prompts me to flip - it scans as if it's a one-sided document.  Reading other posts, I should be seeing a dialog box for "Prepare to scan the remaining pages of your double-sided document.  To scan the other side of the pages 1. Remove the pages from the output tray.  Do not change the page order.  2. Without turning the pages over, rotate and place them back into the document feeder according to the placement markings on the device. 3. Click OK when ready."  

This dialog box will not display even with the settings below. 

I've tried uninstalling/re-installing. I get the same behavior each time. 

Appreciate any guidance or troubleshooting from the community! 

clipboard_image_1.png

Also, for the record - HP, if you are listening - the two-sided scanning is such a pain - I spent hours reading other posts about how unnecessarily complicated 2-sided/duplex scanning is on HP devices. It took me hours just to get the app to connect to my printer/scanner.   I regret my purchase. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@BeamMeUpScottie 

I did not find your printer as described:

• MFP M2841cdw

Did find this:

Product Specifications for the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw (T6B83A)

Edits - Member confirms this is the printer...removed comment "if this is not your printer"

If this is your printer...

Product series introduced in September 2017

Disclaimer:  Laser Printers are not my area of expertise.  As a result, I may have missed something and / or I may have provided information that does not apply to your type of device.  If that should be the case, another Expert will likely jump in and provide a correction or additional information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, the Specifications indicate that Auto-duplex is supported.

There are likely restrictions (Media type (kind of paper), paper size, Source (tray)).

For example,

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M278-M281 - User Guide

Section  Automatically print on both sides (Windows) - Page 34

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The following may or may not apply to your printer...

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

On the printer control panel, Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Set the Preferences

Make sure you have selected the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size in your printer settings.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

HP Scan Extended

HP Scan Extended might work with your installed Full Solution Software though it is not primarily a "laser printer" software and, in fairness, the HPSE software is an older vintage (2015).  It may - or may not - be fully compatible with your printer and your newer printer software.

Reference

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw/M281cdw Printer Full Software Solution

Places to check include (and may not be limited to)

Duplex feature installed? (Model Dependent)

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click Printer > Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Automatic Duplexing Unit > Select / Verify Installed > OK

Duplex feature in Printing Preferences (Model Dependent)

Right-Click Printer > Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut that provides the feature and leave that shortcut highlighted (selected)

And / Or (if your printer software supported “custom shortcuts”)

Select a shortcut > Make changes that includes “Duplex” 

NOTES

• Remember to check the settings under each Tab
  • Pay attention – not all Media (kind of paper) and / or paper sizes support Duplex

Save the changed shortcut settings with “Save As” (wording varies) to create a Custom shortcut

If you like, leave that (new / custom) shortcut highlighted as the “default”

Click Apply / OK to save the shortcut

Tray installed?

Right-Click Printer > Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Tray #  > Select Installed > OK

If you have not done so, consider updating the Firmware.

NOTE:  Always read any and all information before updating the Firmware.

HP Color LaserJet Pro M280-M281 Multifunction Printer series Firmware Update Utility

If / After updating the Firmware for the printer, Restart the computer and log in.

If the printer is on the network...

Although not likely the issue, you could check the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to verify your printer's defaults and preferences.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Available Settings and their Locations vary by printer model.

Consider looking in Settings and / or Preferences as available

References

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Lots of documents and help, including (but not limited to)

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP Color LaserJet Pro M280-M281 Multifunction Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Apologies - it's an MFP M281cdw

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.