Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

HI Guys, 

I found these to be helpful.. For some reason my antivirus changed some settings inside Windows Server 2012 R2... I hope this helps as it did me.. IF not look at the last update or program that was installed.

http://woshub.com/smb-1-0-support-in-windows-server-2012-r2/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2696547

HP Recommended

Yup, that second link is the one I posted as well because it was the most useful. Except now we get to check out the "en-gb" version 😃

Thanks for sharing, the first link is one I either hadn't seen or had forgotten about.

FYI I have had no further issues with scanning and I still have the m276nw at home.

HP Recommended

From the below linked page:

"You can use the name (instead of the IP address) in the server name field only if the shared folder is on a Windows computer in the same local network."

In my case, the printer was on a different subnet, and even with the DNS server specified, it would only work via the IP address. We chose to reserve the IP address of the target PC in DHCP.

No registry modifications were needed.

HP link

HP Recommended

Hi

Late to this thread, i have a MFP 426FDN and what we found out is that it ONLY scans to a first level shared folder so

\\Computer name\Sharename,,,,,that's it,,,,i cannot go deeper like a real network share \\Servername\topfolder\folder\folder\Folderto scan.

It stops, this is some crappy way to make you buy the higher models so it can actually scan deeper folders, it's not a technology issue, it's software related and i'm probably sure it could be fixed in a firmware but will they do it?

HP Recommended

I have the M477fdn on Windows 10 pro x64 (latest version as of 10/09/2016) and had the same problem as others here. The folder was set up as a shared folder called "scanned"  under public documents. The path was \\PC_Name\Scanned

It was reachable from all computers on the network. Everyone had read and write access and I got the same error trying to access the folder from the printers web interface set-up.

What finally worked for me was setting up a user account for the printer on the PC hosting the sharred folder. I really didn't want to have to do that because now there's a whole user account just for a printer but... it works now.

Once the user account was set up, I put the user name and password in the printer's web based set up page for setting up access to the network folder (accessed through the printer's IP) hit save and test and it passed the test. 

I've only run one scan test before writting this. We'll see if it sticks.

HP Recommended

Go to 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Centre

on left menu select  ...changed advance sharing setting

go to Private (current profile)

Under HomeGroup Connection

select ...2nd option......Use user account & password to connect to other computer

save changes...that's all

PB
HP Recommended

**  FIXED **:

I tried everything in this answer and numerous others. Also spent 100+ minutes on phone with HP support to no avail.

What fixed it for me was a slight change in how you enter the log-in authentication for the Network Folder setup.

I had been trying just the user name in the user name field and then the regular password in the password field. But the username needed to have the machine name in front of it for mine to work, so:

username: Bill Smith = FAIL

username: \\Bills Computer\Bill Smith = SUCCESS

You do need the slashes as I've entered them. If you need your computer name, go to Start, right click 'Computer', then select 'Properties'. Computer name will be about 2/3 of the way down. That's for Win7. Other OS will be a little different.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

That's a shocking level of support from HP! 

I am having the same issue with an HP Laserjet 400 MFP (M425dw) printer. Scan to network share does not work when trying to scan to a share on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Server. 

I created the exact same share on a windows 2008 r2 server and the scanning works perfectly fine. 

I suspect HP do not cater for Windows Server 2012 R2 network shares on their printers. 

Disgraceful!

HP Recommended

I've been having this issue where I could not scan to my Server 2016 share and have tried endlessly to figure out why it was happening.  Sure enough, looking through this thread seeing the SMB1 being disabled being the culprit, I went into the registry of the server, enabled SMB1 and disabled SMB2, and like magic, the scanning is now working.  I think it's utter crap that we have to resort to going back to a less secure version of SMB than having HP put out a firmware fix to utilize SMB2.  I have a feeling WannaCry is partly related to when they released a Windows Update to disable SMB1.  At least that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

HP Recommended

I think you'll find that the "400 series units" have exactly this problem too. Most recently, the 477. Issue still needs addressed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.