Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP 1536dnf MFP <--> DLink DPR-1260 Wireless Print Server <--> PC (XP/SP3)

With above configuration, can print but can not scan.  Scan software is looking for 1536dnf to be connected directly to the PC via USB.  HP installation software only covers direct USB connections and connections to a WIRED network.  Is it possible to configure the Scan software so it uses a wireless network printer in the above configuration?  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my 1536dnf. I tried reinstalling using the disk and downloading from the site - neither worked. HP will talk to you free while you are under warranty. She took control of my computer, and actually downloaded another driver I needed. Now it works perferctly. So call while you are still under warranty.

HP Recommended

You can also temporarily wire your PC to the printer server (if it has an extra LAN port), install the basic drivers from HP's website, and then disconnect the LAN cable to go wireless again.

For example, the printer is wired to my router, but my laptop is wireless. I first tried installing the drivers, hoping that the "wired" requirement was just a suggestion. It wasn't. So I then followed the following steps:

1. Disabled wireless on my laptop

2. Hardwired my laptop to an empty port on the same router

3. Installed the drivers (success)

4. Unplugged the hardwire connection

5. Enabled wireless on my laptop

6. Put a handful of documents in the printer feeder

7. Used the HP scan software on my laptop to test (success)

Obviously I have not tested this with a wireless print server, but at least I can verify that this workaround using a router works fine (at least for scanning, which is all I have tested so far; I have no reason to think printing won't also work)

I hope this workaround is helpful to someone!

HP Recommended

Sure wish I knew which file she downloaded.  I updated the firmware, all software and drivers.  Didn't make any difference.

HP Support said printer is toast and that the scanner and scanner hardware were probably fried. 

Said only option was to replace the printer.

One unhappy camper ...

- jerry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.