Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 276 dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to be able to initiate a network scan from the HP Officejet Pro 276dw touchpad to a shared folder on my new laptop's hard drive, rather than initiating the scan from my new laptop.   This was not a problem with my old laptop running Windows 7, and not a problem after I upgraded my old laptop to Windows 10 at the 11th hour when Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 not too long ago.  But now, with my spanking new Windows 10 laptop right out of the box, apparently the scanner is not able to find the hard drive on the network.  I've tested the network up and down to ensure the username and password is correct, and the hard drive can be found using another device on the network.  I contacted the HP support chat line over the weekend, we ran through this and that, but the issue stated in my opening sentence remains unresolved. One of the support technicians suggested using HP Scan and Capture, but that approach fails to address the issue, stated in my opening sentence above.  I'm starting to suspect the problem has  to do with the HP Officejet Pro 276dw MFP Full Feature Software and Drivers, version 32.2, because it shows a release date of April 8, 2014.  Does that early date suggest it might not be designed to be fully functional in a newer Windows 10 environment?  If the printer is no longer being supported and HP isn't updating the driver to support this particular network functionality in a Windows 10 environment, is there a different driver that would provide the functionality?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Attilah_the_Hun

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor: Follow steps from the link: Click here

Root level uninstall and reinstall printer drivers

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet  printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

To reinstall, click here.

• If the issue continues, uninstall and reinstall printer Basic drivers from the link: Click here
  • If the issue still continues, install using Using the Windows Built-in Print DriverClick here

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck.  Way I reckon, if God meant for my network scanner to work from the printer touch screen, he would have arranged for a Windows 10 driver update at the time of the Big Bang 14 billion years ago.  Keep me posted, I'll check back in another billion years.

HP Recommended

@Attilah_the_Hun

I understand your concerns.

Follow the steps in the below video.

http://hp.care/2ELGXXk

NOTE: Though the video is for a LaserJet printer the steps are same.

If the issue persists, I recommend you enable SMB on your computer. Follow the below steps to Enable SMB.

Programs and features > turn on windows feature > SMB 1.0 CIFS Server > reboot PC.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

No way am I about to enable SMB 1.0 / CIFS Server.  Pardon my explicative, but as they say in the hinterlands, "what, are you crazy?"  Moreover, I don't see how to update the printer's firmware.   Pardon my ignorance, I'm just a musician, not a computer guy by a long shot so this might be the dumb question of the day, but wouldn't HP have been able to fix the problem a long time ago with a firmware update if the multi-function printer had a feature to download a firmware update so you wouldn't need to enable the SMB 1.0 / CIFS Server to initiate a scan to a network hard drive from the printer's touchscreen? Well, one thing for sure, you don't need to be technically savvy to go around quoting Warren Buffett, who says, "Only when the tide rolls out can you see who's been swimming naked."  Enough of my chatty rant.  If I spend the morning driving to some HP authorized repair place many miles away, you don't suppose they could update the printer's firmware for free?  I might add, we're at coronavirus ground zero here, the techies are dropping like flies.  So I couldn't actually go inside.

HP Recommended

@Attilah_the_Hun

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I'll try that and see what happens, though I'm less than optimistic.   Now that we've gotten this far, as is so often the case, I see that half the battle is knowing what question to ask.  Now that the ol' horsie is pointed in the right direction, doing a Google search and finding a few articles online, I found a technical White Paper at HP's website, http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05547920  .  Starting at page 2, under the heading, "HP Printing devices supporting SMB version 1 only," the White Paper states, "The following print devices do not support SMB version 2," and by implication, I surmise that means it doesn't support SMB version 3 either.  It further explains, "Disabling SMB version 1 support on servers and other networked scan destinations will cause features on these devices requiring the SMB protocol to malfunction. Note: Microsoft has released security update MS17-0101 that resolves the SMB version 1 vulnerability used by the WannaCry attack."  Under this heading, at page 3, is the subheading, "HP OfficeJet Pro printers and multifunction printers."  Among the devices listed is "HP Officejet Pro 276dw MFP."   

Well, as I started out, half the battle is knowing what question to ask.

HP Recommended

@Attilah_the_Hun

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.