Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks greasy68, that fixed my problem completely! 😄 Even more annoying for me, my black ink just ran out, and the scanner needs to be operational to align the cartidges...

I registered here especially to say thanks for this - if you're ever around Glasgow, I'm buying you a pint or 3 😄

HP Recommended

Hi Steve, jolly good, glad to hear that it worked for you it gives me great plesure every time somebody cracks it. Happy new year. kind regards, Steve

HP Recommended

Unplug the power from the printer.  I opened the document feeder and used a torqx key to remove four silver colored screws on top, plus two on the hinge joint holding the feeder, plus one black screw on the front(accessible after opening the printer cartridge door).  This allowed me to take the  document feeder off and then take the glass and black plastic framing it off from the base of the printer.  Carefull the wiring is still connected so the glass screen cannot be fully removed, but you can access the scanner light bar assembly.  I moved it to the left a few notches by raising it slightly and moving it to the left.  This seems to release the mechanical jam.  I reassembled all and it worked again. 

I am single document scanning, since I think the jam was caused by driving the document feeder. 

HP Recommended
Yes! Yes! you are THE MAN!
All those "turn it on and off again" didn't work at all. just a waste of my time.
However, I didn't bash mine 🙂 There were 6 silver screws on the top of the machine, another silver one under the printer name on the control panel, and a black one in the front when you open the cartridges door. removed the whole things, gently! disconnected the cable that is connected to the control panel, and then I was able to lift the top portion. it is held by 3 tabs in the front.

the Gears you were turning the other way didn't really matter, it was stopped because it is supposed to stop. basically I just re-positioned the scanner part on the rail, close to the left gears. worked like a charm.

so Taylorn72 - thank you for saving me a lot of money on a new one!
HP Recommended
actually I went ahead and took everything apart, the gears are there for the top part paper feeder. all they did was reposition the scanner part that moves back on it's rail.

and yes, he is awesome!
HP Recommended
I can't believed I didn't scroll down to your posts. I just went on a limb here and did the same thing. and yeah, it works!
HP Recommended

I'm not a DIY person but this was really good advice. I thought the scanner was completely out of commission but I followed the steps and it now works fine.

Thanks so much.

HP Recommended

The solution doesn't function. I lost a lot of time to solve this issue following all your reccomandation and "solution". I found also other solution to install the scanner but in any way I follow after two or three days in the Morning when I switch on the PC, the scanner is not more available. I'm very upset. I will buy an EPSON after many HP printer and PC

HP Recommended

HP Officejet 4500 error message  scanner failure.

HP Recommended
So it did work for a few days? What happened between the time you fixed it and put it back on the rail, to when it failed again?

Mine is now working for 2 weeks.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.