Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8610
Linux

When I scan pages through the automatic document feeder, the scans are crooked.  I

1) disconnected the power cord, then plugged it back in.

2) cleaned the scanner's rollers with distilled water

That's about it.  

I have not used this scanner much since I bought it but I was curious so I looked back on scans from when I first bought this printer.  I see that those scans are also crooked.

Edit: tried rubbing alcohol on the rollers, too.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Silverthunder 

One idea that may - or may not - be relevant to your situation...

All things "equal", that is, the printer ADF is clean, the printer is clean, the paper is perfectly appropriate (not too thin, not to thick, not damp or too dry), the issue might be the scan DPI (resolution) is too low.

What?

I had this happen on a really nice Officejet Pro 8740 loaner that I was lucky enough to have for a year. 

I tried the cleaning, polishing.  I tried different documents used to make the scan (to make sure my original copies / paper were not in some way at fault).   I did not change the ink (I just didn't use that much and ink levels were great.)

Finally I changed the scan settings to no less than DPI  300 (resolution). 

The weirdness (crooked scans) went away.   Why?  Paper slowed down enough to straighten itself?

Might be worth checking.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, I am glad to have learned about your solution.  It didn't work in this case but I have another HP scanner that I am hoping to bring into production if I can't get this one to work as desired.  So at least I have more knowledge when dealing with that.

I read another post on this forum that talked about a solution for a different model.  The solution involved pressing an invisible button.  I tried to apply the instructions to my printer model but they did not work.  Maybe some instructions for my model will pop up down the road.

HP Recommended

@Silverthunder 

You are welcome.

Comments / Personal Observations

The "solution" was "somewhat" unlikely to work the same way on a five year old printer as compared to a newer "top of line" model just under a year old.  Nonetheless, it is a simple thing to check.  Smiling.

It is possible that using thicker paper would help - for example, if you are using standard #20 paper, try some #24 "very white" paper.  I've switched to 24# paper about eight months ago; not for the purpose of "taming"  printer issues, but there may be "unintended benefits. ?? 

OR

Heavier paper could make things worse - it depends, of course, on "why" the printer is not pulling in the paper correctly - or, if the paper is starting correctly, why it suddenly "turns" a bit when it hits the rollers.  

If you can get a hold of some heavier paper to try shoving through the ADF, it might be worth the "knowing".  This "solution", even if it works, is useless for copying / scanning documents on "other paper", of course.  Paper is a big deal to a printer but we don't always have a choice about what we are using.

It might just be that your 8610 is getting old.  I just retired a much loved (and still working) Officejet Pro 8630.  Just unsure how long the 8630 "has left" and I dislike not having a printer for which I can get service and parts.  New printer is very nice, though I am not "in love" with the tray order on the 9025 (bottom tray is tray 1).

The invisible button, if it is what I believe it is, is not something for which I can provide help.  We are prohibited from advising on maintenance menu items and anything that breaches the normal use, security, and access to the printer.  Regardless, I would guess that in this instance, the available settings would not avail you of a solution to this particular problem.  Might - but just as likely not.

If I think of anything else (something I ever tried on the old 8630, for example), I will post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I will try the thicker paper.  I will have to remember to pick some up from the store the next time that I am in that area.  I think that I do have some way thicker paper but not really a solution because it would get costly on such thick paper.  

I think I will be in the market for a new all in one or scanner shortly.  What I would like is a device where you can scan file after file from the scanner to the computer, without having to go back to the computer and click something.  I realize that the function, "scan to computer" is available on many HP machines, but it only works in Windows, not in Linux (my daily driver) or OS X.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.