Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet Pro 8620. Just purchased it two months ago and everything has been fine. I just, however, scanned an item through the feeder, and there is a black verticle line about halfway in, going down the entire page. What can I do to correct this? It is not happening as of yet using the flatbed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a small spec on the ADF scanner glass, the thin glass just to the left of the main bed.  [Oops - the original document has been removed....]

The same sensor is used for both the flatbed scan and the automatic document feeder (ADF), the difference is where the sensor is moved to for scanning.  When scanning from the flatbed the sensor moves across the bed, a spot in this area will result in a spot on the page.  When using the ADF the sensor is moved to the thin glass to the left of the main bed, and the paper is moved past the sensor by the ADF.  A spot in the wrong place here will result in a lind down the length of the long side of the page.  Clean this areas as shown below.

Figure : Locate any debris on the ADF scanner glass strip

Image: Locate debris on  the ADF scanner glass strip.

If the initial cleaning does not resolve the issue it may help to shine a bright flashlight nearly parallel to the glass.  For a line on the left side of the printed page the spot will be toward the front of the printer, if the line is on the right of the paper it will correspond to a spec toward the rear of the printer.

Figure : Clean the ADF scanner glass strip

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

The issue you are seeing is caused by a small spec on the ADF scanner glass, the thin glass just to the left of the main bed.  [Oops - the original document has been removed....]

The same sensor is used for both the flatbed scan and the automatic document feeder (ADF), the difference is where the sensor is moved to for scanning.  When scanning from the flatbed the sensor moves across the bed, a spot in this area will result in a spot on the page.  When using the ADF the sensor is moved to the thin glass to the left of the main bed, and the paper is moved past the sensor by the ADF.  A spot in the wrong place here will result in a lind down the length of the long side of the page.  Clean this areas as shown below.

Figure : Locate any debris on the ADF scanner glass strip

If the initial cleaning does not resolve the issue it may help to shine a bright flashlight nearly parallel to the glass.  For a line on the left side of the printed page the spot will be toward the front of the printer, if the line is on the right of the paper it will correspond to a spec toward the rear of the printer.

Figure : Clean the ADF scanner glass strip

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

After two days of going nuts cleaning everything to finding out why the black lines were not going away, the Flashlight worked, the spec was so tiny, I couldn't beleive it.  The black lines are gone.  Thanks to this HP Forum.

HP Recommended

Doesn't seem to work for me as each time I clean, the lines appear in different places. Also, adf and flatbead scanning outputs different quality. ADF=more noise+vertical lines, Flatbed=noise almost non-existent, richer and over-saturated output.

HP Recommended

It worked..............

I cannot beleive it.  I cleaned it twice before reading the blog.  With the flashlight I found a tiny spec and buffed it off.  That did the trick.   Works great.  Thannnnnnnnnnnnks. 

HP Recommended

I returned the sucker. Found out more flaws where most people wouldn't care about.

HP Recommended

Cannot remove lines from scanned docs.  How is it done?

HP Recommended

@AmLaw wrote:

Cannot remove lines from scanned docs.  How is it done?

Do the lines only show up when you use the ADF (not from the flatbed glass)?  If so then clean the glass to the left of the main scanner glass as described in my solution above.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Cleaning glass to the left of the scan bed worked.  Simple fix.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have a black and red line on my printer on the feeder not the flatbed. Can you tell me how to clean that?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.