Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Photosmart Plus All-in-One B209a-m
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I requested scan of document to my computer.  Printer screen referred me to my computer to initiate scan.  HP Solution Center stated "..cannot run because your device installation is not complete."  I've been using this for years.  HP Print and Scan Doctor states, "The full software solution for your product is not installed on this computer.  In order to use...., you must intall the full software soution.  To download.....click the "In stall....." button.  I've done this, among other things, repeatedly.  All goes well.  Sometimes there's a msg that full installation failed due to Bing's being incompatible.  Skipped the Bing problem.  Continued with installation.  I have spent an entire day uninstalling, installing, completing installation, adding printer, trying several Microsoft work arounds for Windows 10.  It's 6:55 p.m. and I am completely stymied.  Googled solutions.  Tried Microsoft solutions.  Tried HP solutions.  I'm lost.  Cannot scan.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@RAFLEMING, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below-

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer and try printing.

Try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  The Print and Scan Doctor won't respond except to say installation is not complete.  I saw your solution that you have posted here before on another thread and am sure I tried it.  I have completed an uninstall in this long attempt to fix this that had me uninstall and also go to several other places to remove HP such as you are saying here and more.  And then installed and got the same results.  You can't overestimate the number of times I've uninstalled to various degrees and reinstalled using HP website and using Windows drivers.  As you are so kind as to help me I will follow your instructions to the letter and get back to you.  It is so comforting to have you giving attention to this.  Thank you!  I have to go feed some feral cats just now and will follow your recommendation when I return later.  Again, don't give up on me, thank you!

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions for removing the driver and reinstalling via HP website.  The printer still will not scan from the printer screen and says to try scanning from the computer.  Note:  when I tried to add the printer as part of the setup process, it stated the setup failed:  "Printer setup has failed to complete.  Click Retry to try installing the printer again or click next to continue installation without connecting to the printer now."  It put an icon on my desktop:  Add a Device.  I tried that and got the same result.  I initiated HP Solution Center which gave this msg as a consequence:  "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete. Please plug in the USB cable or re-run the setup program from the installation CD for a network installation."  Note the printer does not show on the Devices and Printers section of the Control Panel.

You gave me the instructions for installing the Windows driver.  Shall I try that?  And, if so, do I uninstall the driver I just installed first?  Again thank you for your attention to this.

HP Recommended

@RAFLEMING

Installing windows drivers will only help you to print from your PC. This does not support scanning.

Use the HP Scan Extended app to scan and check if that helps.

Click here to download the app. 

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended".

If this does not help, create a new user account on the computer, install the full-featured driver, and then try scanning.

To know how to create a new user account, click here.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I attempted to download HP Scan Extended app and I received a msg that "HPScanExt.msi can't be downloaded securely" with a big exclamation mark.

So I proceeded to create a new user acct and install the full-featured driver.  Then I tried to scan.  Won't scan from the printer screen.

Is it possible there is anything I am doing or not doing that interferes with the installation?  I'm not all that computer savvy.  Close all programs while installing...something like that?

HP Recommended

I created a new account and downloaded the driver software and installed and received the same message about the installation's failing.  I finished out the process without adding the printer.  Then I added the printer with an app. and still won't scan.

HP Recommended

Do you have any other computer, that you can try installing and scanning with?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have another desktop with Windows 10 on it and Photosmart Plus B209 already installed.  I get the same error messages from HP Solutions Center and Windows Fax and Scan and HP Print and Scan Doctor.  So, I cannot scan.  I didn't try using a USB cable as desktop is in another room.

HP Recommended

@RAFLEMING

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.