Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy5530 series - HP64C25A
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently my HP Scan & Capture application has stopped working. Until this time the application has been operating perfectly. I tend to use it infrequently so the root cause may have happened some time over the past few weeks. The printer is linked to my lap top via a wifi connection & it is printing perfectly.

As part of my troubleshooting I have deleted the application & loaded the latest version from the Windows Store. Unfortunately the application still refuses to run. When I attempt to run the application using the Capture Documents feature - I get the following error message "General Failure".

I have attempted to run HP Print & Scan Doctor (V4.9) to resolve the scanning problem. I note that this application when I attempt to run it seems not to complete its routine & can appear to be "working" for more than 20 minutes (I gave up & closed it using Task Manager).

I can operate the scanner using the HP e-All in One Printer but of course this will only provide a single page scan.

Any assistance would be most gratefully accepted.

Best regards,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5530-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304881/mod...

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Also, here's some scanning tips for you on scanning multiple pages:

Scanning multiple pages to a PDF document

https://goo.gl/NcB2oc

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5530-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304881/mod...

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Also, here's some scanning tips for you on scanning multiple pages:

Scanning multiple pages to a PDF document

https://goo.gl/NcB2oc

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Hi Professor,

Many thanks for your help. Your suggested solution has solved my problem. I noted that one aspect of the solution involving a Microsoft application (clearing or resetting registers) does not work for Windows 10. Perhaps there is a Microsoft process that completes this task but it is not thi particular one.

I'm very grateful for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Rob

HP Recommended

Hi @Rob164,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

I posted about this this morning but it has disappeared!

I have exactly the same problem as Rob, "General Failure" error report.

I have followeed the advice offered above - no better.

Please advise.

John

Lancaster UK

HP Recommended

Hi @tapkaJohnD

The post was moved to a new thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Re-HP-Scan-and-Capture-Not-Working/m-p/605...

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Absolutely useless.  That did nothing as far as I can see.

Come on HP!  Has this been caused by your most recent updates?   It's nothing I've done!

John

HP Recommended

i just installed the HP "ext." and it is not the old "HP Scan and Capture" with its pretty icons, but....it works for me and quickly brings up the screen i need to set up scan and copy functions

HP Recommended

Hi @capnsalty

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.  

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.