Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (5,314 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Scan and Capture Not Working

Product Name: HP Envy5530 series - HP64C25A
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently my HP Scan & Capture application has stopped working. Until this time the application has been operating perfectly. I tend to use it infrequently so the root cause may have happened some time over the past few weeks. The printer is linked to my lap top via a wifi connection & it is printing perfectly.

As part of my troubleshooting I have deleted the application & loaded the latest version from the Windows Store. Unfortunately the application still refuses to run. When I attempt to run the application using the Capture Documents feature - I get the following error message "General Failure".

I have attempted to run HP Print & Scan Doctor (V4.9) to resolve the scanning problem. I note that this application when I attempt to run it seems not to complete its routine & can appear to be "working" for more than 20 minutes (I gave up & closed it using Task Manager).

I can operate the scanner using the HP e-All in One Printer but of course this will only provide a single page scan.

Any assistance would be most gratefully accepted.

Best regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Scan and Capture Not Working

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5530-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304881/model/5304882#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930C7

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Also, here's some scanning tips for you on scanning multiple pages:

Scanning multiple pages to a PDF document

https://goo.gl/NcB2oc

Hope that helps.

View solution in context
Dean
Message 2 of 9 (5,304 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP forum.

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5530-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304881/mod...

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Also, here's some scanning tips for you on scanning multiple pages:

Scanning multiple pages to a PDF document

https://goo.gl/NcB2oc

Hope that helps.

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (5,291 Views)

Hi Professor,

Many thanks for your help. Your suggested solution has solved my problem. I noted that one aspect of the solution involving a Microsoft application (clearing or resetting registers) does not work for Windows 10. Perhaps there is a Microsoft process that completes this task but it is not thi particular one.

I'm very grateful for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Rob

Dean
Message 4 of 9 (5,289 Views)

Hi @Rob164,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 9 (3,917 Views)

I posted about this this morning but it has disappeared!

I have exactly the same problem as Rob, "General Failure" error report.

I have followeed the advice offered above - no better.

Please advise.

John

Lancaster UK

Dean
Message 6 of 9 (3,899 Views)

Hi @tapkaJohnD

The post was moved to a new thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Re-HP-Scan-and-Capture-Not-Working/m-p/605...

Thanks.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (3,884 Views)

Absolutely useless.  That did nothing as far as I can see.

Come on HP!  Has this been caused by your most recent updates?   It's nothing I've done!

John

Student
Message 8 of 9 (3,534 Views)

i just installed the HP "ext." and it is not the old "HP Scan and Capture" with its pretty icons, but....it works for me and quickly brings up the screen i need to set up scan and copy functions

Dean
Message 9 of 9 (3,520 Views)

Hi @capnsalty

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.  

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation