Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610

I am currently using an HP2009m computer and trying to scan documents from my HP Officejet Pro 8610, to my computer. I have been able to scan for a while without any problems but now every time I try the "general failure" message pops up. I have already tried turning off the printer then back on as well as restarting my computer. Also I have unadded the printer and re-added it, and the same message comes up. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LJ13

Start here:

HP Printers - Resolving a 'Scanner Failure' Message When Scanning, Copying, or Faxing

OR

Is the message only showing up in HP Scan and Capture software??

In general, if the many other scan programs still work, the HP Scan and Capture software may have developed an issue of its own.

HP Scan and Capture is available from the Windows Store.

If the HP Scan and Capture program fails to run, glitches, or otherwise stops working as expected: 

Uninstall the existing copy > Restart > Download and install a fresh copy of the software

Windows key > toggle Start_Screen_Apps_Toggle.jpg   to show Apps List > Open Category HP >

Right-Click HP Scan and Capture > Uninstall

Restart the computer and log in >

Windows key > Open the Windows Store >

Download / Install a fresh copy of the HP Scan and Capture software

Reference

Dragon Document – Collection of Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples: 

Scanning Program Options

Topics / Sections – various, including:

• Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  • HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone free scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, image and PDF scans, Auto-Crop!
  • NAPS2-- Not another PDF Scanner – free standalone program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s)
  • Printer Software (Full Feature Software > Printer Assistant > Print, Scan & Fax > Scan a Document or Photo)
  • HP Scan and Capture from Windows Store
  • Webscan And others…

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720.

Windows 10 on a Surface Book 2.

Printer software uninstalled and reinstalled.

HP Scan and Capture uninstalled and reinstalled.

Windows Image Acquisition running and starts automatically.

Printer connected using USB cable.

Computer able to detect printer, print things properly, and when I tell it to scan the printer scans. But when the scan is complete, it can't send the picture over to my machine, instead saying "General Failure".

I tried all your steps and I'm still getting the exact same error.

WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

HP Recommended

@NoMalarkey

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

Do you experience any issues when making photocopies?

If Photocopies work fine, try using the HP Smart App to scan and let me know how it goes

Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.