Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a HP laserjet Pro M175, same error. I can scan to the PC en save it, scanner works OK. But the error message "The HP Scan application is unable to open your email application" comes up everytime i want to scan to mail. The problem started after the creators update of Windows 10.

Is there a solution to this problem? The printer is connected via USB.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Juxv87,

I would like to know what e-mail program (installed) or web-based e-mail service are you using?

Your installed mail program/client must have the appropriate Default set (MAILTO protocol).

Double check the following:

Set Default Programs

• Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs >
  • Scroll down, Select (Your mail program) in the left column >
  • Choose Defaults for this program > Select (at least) MAILTO / Send mail > Save

OR Assign MAILTO protocol (Alternate method)

• Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program >
  • Wait for the menu selections to fill in (a few seconds) >
  • Select (highlight) a file type at random (click somewhere inside the menu window) >
  • Type (the letter) m > Menu scrolls to the MAILTO protocol (item is highlighted)
  • Change program > Select (Your mail program) from the list > Close

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using Outlook 2010 as mail client.

Outlook is and was already set as the default mail program, but i tried the steps you have mentioned. The MAILTO protocol was already set on Outlook and I have reset it to Outlook just for the hell of it. 

The problem still occurs, same error.

Thanks for your fast replies, hope there is a solution to this problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @Juxv87,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have tried to check the setting for the outlook and still seems to have the issue.

Click the the Start button, then press the gear button to access Settings.

Press Apps > Default Apps and ensure Outlook is selected under Email.

Next open the Control Panel and go to Programs > Defaults Programs > Set your default programs

Select Outlook and ensure it has all its defaults, then check again.

Now check for any difference.

If the same remains the issue relies with MS Outlook itself, from the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program.
Search ans locate Microsoft Office.
Click Uninstall (or Repair if shown), then select Repair from the shown screen and follow the steps on screen, from my experience that should resolve the problem.

Alternatively, you  may also install and configure other 3rd party email client such as Thunderbird which is free, then such functionality should become available.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi There!

You can try going throug Control Panel > Programs > Look for Microsoft Office > click on Change/Uninstall > Click on Repair. Wait for the process to complete. Then try scanning again.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

After the Windows 10 Creator installation I was no longer able to scan from my HP PhotoSmart 7525 directly to an Outlook email.

I was able to resolve the by  repairing the Microsoft Office configuration. 

Here are the steps I used to resolve the problem:

1.  Open the  Control Panel by clicking the circle to the right of the Windows icon on the task and typing Control Panel in the box

2. When the Control Panel opens choose Programs and Features in the far right colume

3. When Program and Features opens  locate Microsoft Office version X (mine is Office 2010 Professional) and click on it

4. Click on YES to remove or change an application

5. Click on Change and initiate a repair of the installation.

I am now back to scanning to my Outlook email.  I hope it works for you as well.

HP Recommended

I am super frustrated that I cannot seem to scan a pdf directly to my outlook email.  No matter what I do it will not work.  I have deleted and reinstalled everything and it will still not recognize outlook email.  This is the error message I get:

HP Scan

The HP scan application cannot find an email application installed on the computer

PLEASE HELP, thank you!

HP Recommended

I too cannot get the HP scan to email to work. Win 7, Windows Live Mail.  I have verified that Mailto and default e-mail are correctly set. 

Any ideas or better yet a solution.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Same problem with HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw

HP Recommended

@Ron019

Hello,
Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately, based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. I recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/postpage

To be more helpful with your post, you may add key information if you wish:
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.