Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Scanner
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Hello everyone,,

I have an HP scanner on VLAN A and the server that it scans to on VLAN B. This was a fresh change that was made a couple of weeks ago, however, scanning doesn't happen that often which is why it was never looked at/tested prior to the move.

When the scanner and server were both on VLAN B (was this way for several years) scanning to a network share worked fine. After the move of the printer/scanner to VLAN A, it prints just fine, but scanning doesn't work. I can ping both ways, routing/ACLs are not the issue.

Obviously scanning is happening at layer 2 (is what my first thought is) which is why it isn't working.

The user scans from the scanner directly to a network share on the server. Their computer isn't part of this process (not until they go retrieve the scan in the network folder, which they can access w/o issues).

I'll have to change the switchport of the switch back to untagged on VLAN B to get them up and running for the scanning they need to take care of over the next few days, but I'd like to try to get this fixed.

Thanks.

EDIT- I can post specific printer/model info when I am back on site, but I don't think this is an issue related to the specific printer model, I believe it is a broadcast separation issue.

SOLVED

I tried with the static IP and the test passed....I tried before I changed to static IP (in the printer/scanner shortcut) and it failed. I know it isn't DNS, it must be the workgroup broadcast name resolution, as you mentioned.

/u/hydroxyblue /u/adsmcgregorNG /u/fateOfNations /u/ben011

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You're pretty much on the nose. An ugly workaround might involve trunking VLAN B up to your server to ensure that the printers are on the same L2 segment. This has the potential to cause some problems, so I'd suggest taking some caution.Double check DNS resolution is working and check if it isn't security firewall or patches on the server.

One more thing is that Maybe you could use the ip helper-address or ip forward-protocol command to forward the L2 broadcast traffic from vlan A to the server on vlan B? Maybe the scanner is doing NetBIOS or something and the ip helper-address could enable that to work across vlans.rentcar

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.