Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8500 pro A910
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP program does no more start the scan function.
Windows scan program works normal, Scan doctor checks the configuration successfully and starts a testscan.
If I connect via browser to the printer I may use the scanner.
The printer is twice in the scan doctor printer list, Once with the network node name and once with the IP4 address.
The Scan doctor reports for the second printer each time software not complete and reinstalls the software each time.

To solve the problem I tried to delete and reinstall the printer in Windows, I changed connection form IP4/IP6 to IP4 only in the printer setup..
But the HP printer program shows two printer (node name, IP4 addr), but does no more start scan.

The printer HP Officejet 8500 pro A910 is connected via Ethernet to the router, the HP software is installed on Lenovo E470 Windows10 64 pro 1909.

HP print programm ("C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910\Bin\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910.exe" -Start UDCDevicePage in "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910\Bin\")

How may I get more information or diagnosis about the problem to use again HP software to scan?

Thanks in advance
Rschnauzer

HP Officejet 8500 pro A910, WIN 10 pro 22H2
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I tried to debug with Process Explorer:

One instance of ScanToPCActivationApp.exe is active after booting the PC.
A depending process HPNetworkCommunicator.exe is active with a connected TCP session to my printer.

When I start HPPrinterAssistant   28.0.1315.0  a process InstantFinderDlg.exe ist started.

But no scan menu pops up.

The Process Monitor logs a lot of messages, but I don't know what goes wrong.

HPNetworkCommunicatorCom tries to open several times HKCU\Software\HP\NG\Logging, but the key does not exist.
Should it be added to get more information?

May anybody give me a tip where to search for the problem?
Is it correct, that the Printer Assistant does not realize, that the node name and the IP4 address is the same printer?

Thanks for a solution in advance
Rschnauzer

HP Recommended

@Rschnauzer

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610,

I completed your list and deinstalled HP software and deleted the HP printer and Fax Printer from Windows.
I reinstalled the the HP software and added the Ethernet connected printer to Windows.

Calling the Printer assistant scan does not start.

Starting Scan Doctor a fax printer instance and a second printer instance (network) was added to the Windows device list.
Scan Doctor successfully starts a testscan.

Starting the Printer assistant nothing happens, scan does not start.

Do you have any additional tip how do solve the problem?

What is the difference in function between Printer Assistant and Scan Doctor? 

Best regards,
Rschnauzer

HP Recommended

@Rschnauzer

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

1. In Windows, search for and open View local services.

2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi SandyTechy20,

Service stisvc (WIA) is running, that is also checked and reported by Scan Doctor.
Windows Fax and Scan Program is successfully scanning images.

But after deinstall and reinstall all HP software something in addition has gone wrong.

HP Solution Center and HP Support Assistant is not installed and I do not find how to install it.
HP Update reports "Zugriff verweigert" (no access given) and will not work.

How may I get again a complete HP software installation?

HP Recommended

I have found a bypass to start scan form:

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910\bin\HPScan.exe will display the scan form and scans after ENTER

But that does not explain, why it does not start the regular way from desktop icon with:
"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910\Bin\HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910.exe" -Start UDCDevicePage

Still open is access denied for HP Update.

Best  regards,

Rschnauzer

HP Recommended

It could be because of a Windows Update or a driver conflict. 

You can also use HP Scan and Capture App to scan: HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI Betty0610,

I already reported, that the Windows Scan App is working with the installed printer, but it only supports *.BMP, JPG, PNG and TIF.

This does not help, i need PDF.

How may potential driver conflicts being solved? I again tried to install the HP software package and in addition the basic driver packet. 

Best regards,

Rschnauzer

HP Recommended

Try creating a local account and install the drivers there and scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.