Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
hp all in one 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp 3830 all in one will print, copy, - everything but scan.  Scan doctor does not fix any issues.  It has worked in the past, I can not scan any longer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@taz414

Thank you for the update. 

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporarily connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively, you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to enable scan to computer feature. In order to do that, please follow the steps below: 

From the computer desktop, click Start, select
Programs or All Programs, select the folder for your HP printer, and then select
the option for your HP printer. Double-click Scanner Actions, double-click Manage
Scan to Computer, and then click Enable.

For detailed information, you can also go through the User guide of your printer.

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@taz414

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this did not work, thank you for the reply.  I received this message and the PC is not set up as an admin and there is no USB cable (wireless set up).  Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

@taz414

Thank you for the update. 

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporarily connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively, you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then reinstall them by following the below steps:

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to enable scan to computer feature. In order to do that, please follow the steps below: 

From the computer desktop, click Start, select
Programs or All Programs, select the folder for your HP printer, and then select
the option for your HP printer. Double-click Scanner Actions, double-click Manage
Scan to Computer, and then click Enable.

For detailed information, you can also go through the User guide of your printer.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

As frustrating as all of this is, the firmware was fine and is set to auto update. Unless I missed a driver or device removal, the printer will not scan from the hopper, only a page at a time.  Then it will not save into one continuous document.  I am doing my scanning single page, and unfortunately have to send pages that way too.  Despite the method to scan to printer used (email, print, etc.) that is how it is working.  It worked great when first purchased a little over a year ago, but now, not.

HP Recommended

The firmware is set to auto update, and it was current with no updates required.  The scanning will not take the pages from the hopper, not will the scanned pages save as a continuous document, despite the method sent to printer (email, print, etc.)  It is becoming quite a nuisance to scan and send pages in email separately.

HP Recommended

@taz414

I understand your concerns.

Restart devices and check driver scan settings.

Run the Print and Scan Doctor.

Uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings.

Temporarily disable firewall software on the computer.

1. Return to the Print and Scan Doctor, click Network, and then click Troubleshoot Firewalls.

Figure : Troubleshoot Firewalls in the drop-down menu

Image: Click Troubleshoot Firewalls in the drop-down menu.
  2. Click the name of any firewall software on your system that has an Enabled status, and then click Disable.

Figure : Example of the Troubleshooting Firewalls window

Example of the Troubleshooting Firewalls window
  3. Try to scan.

Click here and refer the document to perform the above steps.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thank You Praveen!

HP Recommended

Hi @taz414

Happy to help. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.