Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

anybody know how to setup scan to email like the old HP scan app had?  The hpsmart app sucks and forces you to save every scan and forward it.  ten times the effort compared to old scan to email function.  tech can't fix it they first told me to go back and get the old driver for the old app but this worked for a while and now i can't find that old driver anymore.  they want to setup a pop server or some nonsense.  they took a great simple app and completely ruined it.  

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

With the new app design, you should not save the file and forward it manually.

Click the Scan button and scan the file, then click the Share button and select Mail, this will attach it to the Mail app as the Scan to Mail feature used to.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

the mail app wants me to setup an email account and import contacts which is a complicated mess.  i don't want another set of contacts which will then never be complete and synched with my outlook contacts.  this should be an easy out of the box solution like the old app was.  i am giving up on HP and going to another manufacturer.  

HP Recommended

HP Smart has always used the native Windows 10 Mail app only.

if it prompts for setup it would prompt for a such with any previous HP Smart version too.

May you used any other application than HP Smart in the past? may you have used the HP Scan software with Microsoft Outlook? I would guess this is correct from your description.

Can you see the HP Officejet Pro 8740 software on your computer? what happens when you open it? from there you should be able to scan to Outlook.

What exact steps were taken to scan to email in the past? which mail application has been used?

Please clarify this as detailed as possible, I believe I may then be able to point you better into the right direction to achieve the same results.

HP Recommended

HP SMart is the problem.  before hp smart everything worked fine with scan to email.  i guess i was using HP scan with ms outlook i have no idea really. it was what came with the scanner originally.  i used that process for years and since hp smart came out i haven't had that option.  when i select hp 8740 from start menu it tries to connect a new printer (which i just did again) and then it takes me to a screen to sign up for hp smart.  previous tech support person gave me the outdated driver for the old app and that was great but it dissappeared from my pc recedntly and i can only find hp smart driver/app now.  ready to throw printer out the window i have hours into this at this point and it just goes in circles.  

HP Recommended

i used to open the old scan app, scan a document and then an email would automatically open in outlook and i could email to whoever i wanted pulling emails from my outlook contacts.  now i need to open scan app, scan document, name and save document, minimize scan app and find document in saved location and then forward.  then delete saved document because who wants thousands of useless scans saved!  disaster.  HP took a perfectly good app and ruined it.  i can't believe anyone can tolerate this.  

HP Recommended

HP Smart is a printer app, available in Windows 10 as an app, this is not a replacement to the full feature  HP Software, but an additional option.

Please run and follow HP Easy Start below, be sure to select the HP Full Feature software or the HP Basic software option, the follow the steps on screen to complete the software installation:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/HPEasyStart_10_0_4029_14.exe

Once completing the installation open the HP Officejet Pro 8740 software and select Scan a Document or Photo, select any scan to email option and Outlook will be launched .

Please let me know if you may experience any difficulty,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

This doesn't work at all.  Same app and no scan to email option.  

HP Recommended

Hi Schlomil,

On my app when I hit share, it goes to the screen where you select how your want to share the file, I select mail, then the next screen says "Choose which account to send the email from", but there are no options listed except the cancel button.

This is particularly frustrating because outlook is listed as the default email app in the app settings, and I was able to email from this app for years before.  2 other people in my office are successfully emailing from the app now.

Do you know how to fix this?

HP Recommended

Please follow HP Easy Start within my previous post, be sure to select the HP Full Feature Software and complete the installation, the use HP Scan to scan directly to MS Outlook.

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.