Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought two new XL cartridges for my HP Envy 5530 at significant cost a short while back when the existing cartidges were starting to get low on ink. I've just put them in the printer and gone through the alignment process. The problem is that the scanner does not scan the alignment page. The scan head moves across the bed and then stops and the screen just shows 'scanning'. The only way to get out of this is to power the printer down. When I power back up I'm asked to put paper in the tray and print an alignment page. The printer then prints another alignment page and asks me to put it onto the scanner bed and press OK --- and so the process continues. I now have 8 alignment pages and a machine that will not do anything other than print alignment pages. I have carried out both a semi full reset and a partial reset about three times but the same happens.. I've carried out a scan motor test and it appears to perform the requested number of cycles (I've tried 1, 2 & 3). It will not however complete a scanner module test, it does not go beyond scanner glass test running and the printer status report  shows scanner glass test not run. The printer is out of warranty so I guess i'm stuck and will have to invest in a new printer unless someone can direct me to an easy fix.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Orlovit, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Going through your post I see that the scanner has failed, I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

Since the device is out of warranty, and we've concluded that this is a hardware malfunction, I may have a few pointers/suggestions to help you out, however, since these suggestions are limited to you and your printer alone, I'd like to send out a private message with those details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

TEJ1602, I have experienced exactly the same issue with my printer getting stuck at scanning the alignment page.  Will you please send me the suggestions you mentioned to the original inquirer?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@JulieCM

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which Printer do you have?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.