Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Hi i'm not very computer / Scanner literate. I cannot seem to find a way to convert all my scanned photos into JPGs to allow me to trim / crop zoom etc As my scanner seems to be pretty much plug and play they've all come out as PDFs.. Any advice is very much welcomed.. thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips .

I see that you are having issues while scanning using your Deskjet printer. Let’s try the steps below to try and fix the issue:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Deskjet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
  • Restart both the printer & computer and then try to scan and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 

AgathaV_1-1657116174344.png

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I'd like to know this too.  I have a new 4400 series HP printer.  I LOVE it.  Tried the scan feature.  but it scans to a PDF file.  I get no type of "menu" that allows me to "customize".  Plus a PDF is of no use to me.  I must say the QUALITY of the result is excellent. 

I got no manuals with the printer.  I did download a "basic" manual (about 25 pages).  i didnt want to "waste" ink by getting the full manual.

HP Recommended

I am hoping someone will reply as I am flumoxed...

I can't understand why a photo I scan comes out as a PDF file...i

HP Recommended
You are going to love me for this!!!!
I found the answer...have tried it and it works...Yeah!
I think the last one (Scanning with windows and Fax) is the best...Works best for me anyway...
Cheers,
Scanning
Use one of the following three methods to scan a document.
 NOTE: Before you begin, make sure that the product is connected to your computer.
Method one: Scanning with Windows Live Photo Gallery
To scan a document using Windows Live Photo Gallery in Windows7, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Windows icon , click All Programs , and then click Windows Live Photo Gallery .
     NOTE: If Windows Live Photo Gallery does not appear in the list of programs, you can go to the Microsoft Web site to download it, or try the next method.
  2. Click File , and then click Import From Camera or Scanner .
  3. Click the product you are using to scan, and then click Import .
  4. Make any desired setting changes, and then click Scan .
Method two: Scanning with Paint
To scan a document using Paint in Windows7, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Windows icon , click All Programs , click Accessories , and then click Paint .
  2. Click the Paint button ( ), and then click From Camera or Scanner .
  3. Make any desired setting changes, and then click Scan .
Method three: Scanning with Windows Fax and Scan
To scan a document using Windows Fax and Scan in Windows7, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Windows icon , click All Programs , and then click Windows Fax and Scan .
  2. Click New Scan .
  3. Make any desired setting changes, and then click Scan .
HP Recommended

You can scan inJPEG format by going to lower left Windows Icon

go to all Programs

and find HP Solution Center

Click on that and then scan and save in JPEG format...

I guess the scan on the machine itself is only for documents

as it only scans if PDF format...

They sure don't make it easy do they?

HP Recommended

My HP 4400 printer scans in PDF.  I need JPEG.  Now do I change

HP Recommended

thanks for the info on converting hp scanned photos, I really felt like a dummy after I read your solution

thanks from a  "DAAA"

HP Recommended

Go into Control Center 3 or 4, whichever you have installed.

On the Tab at the top, Go to Device Settings

Click on Device Settings Below

Under the Image Tab, change your file type from pdf to JPEG.

Set the resolution to your desired resolution (the higher the dpi, the better, but creates a larger file).  300 is default.

Change the Scan Type to Color if you want a color picture

Click OK

HP Recommended

Oh my Goodness! thank you I've been looking everywhere for this answer and yours worked, the second step worked for me. I love that I learn new things like this from others!

HP Recommended

You wrote this a long time ago, but the info is still good - even for Windows 10. 🙂 Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.