Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HPM1212
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get the scanner symbol shortcut to my desktop?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Albert50

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you want to create a shortcut of your scanner on the desktop screen,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Which software/program are you using for your scanner?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Click the Search icon on your operating system, type Scan into the search bar,
  • from the shown results right click on Scan To and select Open File Location.
  • Right click on Scanto.exe and select Send to > Desktop,
  • it will create a shortcut for the scanning software  on your desktop.

If you don't have a software, please install the drivers & program for the same: Click here

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP ENVY PHOTO 7855 PRINTER.  

HP Recommended

I upgraded to WIN 10.  I HATE IT.

How do I get my Scanner to show on my desktop,  IT DOES NOT say  Scanto.exe or anything close to that when I go step by step following instructions.  

How do I get my printer to show on my desktop?

I also cannot get any of the APPS to show on my desktop and I have been going step by step in instructions and even cannot drag and drop etc.

I also cannot get the installed APPS to show on my desktop.

This is the worst operating system I have ever had the displeasure of trying to use. 

I have been going over help menus for 6 hours and cannot get the WIN 10 Desktop to show Apps, and am having a hard time finding things. It took me about 4 hours to finally get my printer to work because it was trying to send to some note program and some other and too me a long time to figure that out.  I hate this program so much I really wish I could keep my Win 7 or even better then that was WIN XP.

HP Recommended

THE SCANNER SYMBOL SHORTCUT HAS DISAPPEARED FROM MY DESKTOP FOR NO APPARENT REASON AND I CANNOT FIND IT

HP Recommended

@LUCILE227

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the printer model number or the product number?

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I use win 10 and officejet pro 8710

HP Recommended

@Gifi

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Envy 5020 is installed on my new computer but I cannot get the scanner to work or to create a shortcut. Please help

HP Recommended

HP ENVY 5020

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.