Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How/where do I go to I set up Scan to Computer so that my scan folders for each computer appear on my printer console?

Once it's set up, how do I tell it what folder to save to?

I have HP Smart installed but it only gives the option for Web scan (?)

All other drivers and software are installed.  It scans fine when I start the scan from HP smart, but I want to start it from my printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I figured it out on my own.  Here is how you set up Scan to Network Folder in Windows 10 with HP Smart.

1-set up a new separate Windows 10 user profile with a password that is JUST used for scanning.

Go to,

Settings

Accounts

Family and Other Users

Under Other Uses, Add someone else to this PC

Click "I don't have this person's sign-in information"

Click "Add a user without a Microsoft Account"

Give it a user name (helps to include the word Scan in it so that you will remember that it's only for scanning)

Give it a password

Put something in for security questions and answers

Click Next

You have now added a user for scanning.

2-Make a folder where you want to save your scans on the same computer you just added the user

3-share the folder

Go to the folder

Right click on it and select properties

Click on Sharing tab

3a-Click on Advanced Sharing

Check the box that says "Share this folder"

Click ok

3b-Now, go to Share (still on the Sharing tab)

On the drop down menu, select the special scanning user you just added, and click Add.

Change permission level to "Read/Write"

Click Share at the bottom of the window.

3c-Still on the Sharing tab, write down (or copy) the Network Path (should be something like \\computername\foldername

4-Set up network sharing in HP Smart

Open HP Smart

Click Printer Setting box

Click Advanced Settings on the left

Click Scan at the top

Click the + sign next to Scan to Network Folder on the left

Click Network Folder Setup on the left

In the Network Folder Setup area in the center, click the person with a + icon (for New)

Under Network Folder Setup Step 1:,

Enter a name for this folder (it will appear on your printer)

Paste/Enter the network path from 3c above into Network Path

Click Next

Under Step 2,

Select "Always use the following credentials"

Enter the User Name and Password you just set up specifically for scanning.

Security PIN -clear the entries if you don't want to use a pin

Click Next

Enter scan settings or leave defaults

Click Save and Test

Voila-this should do it. You should see this folder on your printer when you select scan to network computer.

Here is the link that helped me figure it out because none of this is obvious or explained anywhere.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04431534

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DCcomputeruser 

Hello,

In order to use the Scan to Computer feature, please install your printer with the HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 series Full Drivers and Software.

Please go to the How to Scan (Windows) section.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry but this did not help at all. I already have all the drivers downloaded and have for a while.  The link you included for How to Scan (Windows) has no information whatsoever about setting up scan to computer so that a computer save location can be set up on my printer screen.

HP Recommended

@DCcomputeruser 

Thanks for your return,

The location configuration is saved in each scan shortcut in HP Scan.

Use the Destination section in HP Scan to find or change where your scan files are saved.
 NOTE: 
If you are scanning from the printer control panel, use HP Scan to find the default folder your scans are saved to.
  1. In HP Scan, select a Save as shortcut, and then click More.
  2. Click the Destination tab.
    The folder your scans save to displays under Save To Folder.
  3. To change the default folder, click Browse.
  4. Navigate to the folder you want to save your scans to, and then click OK.
  5. To save the new folder as the default location for the shortcut, click the Save icon (next to the shortcut.
  6. Repeat these steps for any other Save as shortcuts.

In case of need, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,🤠

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

I am sorry but this still doesn't help.  I don't have HP Scan on my computer-only HP Smart.

This computer is only a month old and I downloaded and loaded all the latest drivers and software, including the one in your original link. 

In the system tray, there is now an icon that says Scan to Computer is currently unavailable.  I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor to try and fix it but it can't find a problem.

HP Recommended

@DCcomputeruser 

Unfortunately, the HP Smart application does not support changing the destination where scans are saved with Scan to Computer, only HP Scan and the full software and drivers allow this.

You need to install your printer with HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 series Full Drivers and Software to be able to choose the registration destination in HP Scan.

1. Click the Start menu, then the HP folder, and then HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 series. The HP Printer Assistant window opens.
  2. Click Print, Scan & Fax tab.
  3. Click on the Scan section, then click on Scan a Document or Photo. The HP Scan window opens.
    The Scan section, in the HP Printer Assistant:
    Scan.png

In the HP Scan application, then in the Destination section:
    HP Scan.jpg

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,🤠

HP Recommended

Perhaps i was not clear.

I have downloaded and installed the software from your link.  That link brings me through an installation process and registration process.  The install is successful but it never brings me to an HP Printer Assistance window. 

I also go to the HP folder in Start, I click on HP OfficeJet Pro 8720, and it again brings me through an installation process and registration process. The install is successful but it never brings me to an HP Printer Assistance window.  

Either way, there is no HP software anywhere on my computer that brings me to an HP Printer Assistance window. 

HP Recommended

Well, I figured it out on my own.  Here is how you set up Scan to Network Folder in Windows 10 with HP Smart.

1-set up a new separate Windows 10 user profile with a password that is JUST used for scanning.

Go to,

Settings

Accounts

Family and Other Users

Under Other Uses, Add someone else to this PC

Click "I don't have this person's sign-in information"

Click "Add a user without a Microsoft Account"

Give it a user name (helps to include the word Scan in it so that you will remember that it's only for scanning)

Give it a password

Put something in for security questions and answers

Click Next

You have now added a user for scanning.

2-Make a folder where you want to save your scans on the same computer you just added the user

3-share the folder

Go to the folder

Right click on it and select properties

Click on Sharing tab

3a-Click on Advanced Sharing

Check the box that says "Share this folder"

Click ok

3b-Now, go to Share (still on the Sharing tab)

On the drop down menu, select the special scanning user you just added, and click Add.

Change permission level to "Read/Write"

Click Share at the bottom of the window.

3c-Still on the Sharing tab, write down (or copy) the Network Path (should be something like \\computername\foldername

4-Set up network sharing in HP Smart

Open HP Smart

Click Printer Setting box

Click Advanced Settings on the left

Click Scan at the top

Click the + sign next to Scan to Network Folder on the left

Click Network Folder Setup on the left

In the Network Folder Setup area in the center, click the person with a + icon (for New)

Under Network Folder Setup Step 1:,

Enter a name for this folder (it will appear on your printer)

Paste/Enter the network path from 3c above into Network Path

Click Next

Under Step 2,

Select "Always use the following credentials"

Enter the User Name and Password you just set up specifically for scanning.

Security PIN -clear the entries if you don't want to use a pin

Click Next

Enter scan settings or leave defaults

Click Save and Test

Voila-this should do it. You should see this folder on your printer when you select scan to network computer.

Here is the link that helped me figure it out because none of this is obvious or explained anywhere.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04431534

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.