Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
8500 fn1

I have several of these machines set up to scan as a pdf to an ftp server.  They work beautifully except that sometimes for one reason or another the finished scan will show as 'failed' in the job log and we have to figure out what that document was and re-scan it.

In the web interface under job log I can get the detail of the failed job and it shows me the file name--how can I get the machine to resend the file to the ftp server?  Then we don't have to re-scan things.  Thank you in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The 8500 fn1 isn't a printer--it's a dedicated network scanner with an internal hard drive.  It scans and then processes a scan before sending it, ie, it writes it to a file.  And if the unit still knows this file name, it is probably still on the drive. 

How can I either get the machine to re-send that file or get the machine to send that file somewhere.  It can't just fail once and then give up like this--that would be a really dumb design.

HP Recommended

@SamirD 

My apologies - previous post edited...

Found two devices, this is one:

HP ScanJet Enterprise 8500 fn1 Document Capture Workstation 

If this is the device, then this is your user manual:

HP Scanjet Enterprise 8500 fn1 - User Guide

I still don't see anything obvious for retrieving lost scan data - admittedly I am not reading, I am merely pacing through the document.

The device supports saving scans to different destinations and sending data to Email, too.  (Add a CC mail to an extra recipient if you have trouble with particular mailers on occasion.)

There is a backup and restore procedure to back up / reload the data.  This does strongly indicate the data is on the disk.  What is meant by "Product data" is unclear to me - I am simply not familiar with this device.  Is this the data you seek?  Perhaps - or maybe it is just the device configuration(s).  ?

So, still largely useless.

That said,

The User guide is extensive and worth a read.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed response (which was removed).

I've read the manual many times and am quite familiar with everything documented on this machine.  What I'm asking about is probably only known by the 1 or 2 experts at HP on this exact machine (or line of machines as there is also now an fn2).  If you have a way of getting my question to them, I'm sure they would know exactly how to do it even if not documented anywhere.  These machines are quite sophisticated and very capable of doing a host of things that only HP and other integration partners know about.  I'm sure they would have an answer.

HP Recommended

@SamirD 

I have the option to present the question for review.

The moderators have the option to present the question to HP.

HP has to option to respond.

It is a rather circuitous route - and it might produce the results you seek.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that someone review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales or HP Service.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Note to those reading:

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you!  It would be great if there is a way. 🙂

HP Recommended

Dear customer

We did not find any setting ,  in order to resend jobs when one of them fail

What you can try is use the IP address of the ftp server instead server hostname ( FTP server field)

Also be sure that you are running the latest firmware version 3.9.6

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!  Sad that a job cannot be re-sent since it is probably still on the hard drive in the unit. 😞

We always use IP addresses.  We have two of these machines, one which we bought new and I believe is still under warranty and the other used.  The firmwares are 3.4.1 and FutureSmart 2 SP3.02 (2300366_378468), respectively.  I know both of these are currently on futuresmart 2--will the firmware you suggested run in futuresmart 2 mode?

HP Recommended

Hello.

I suggest to run firmware level 3

You can find more information on the following links

FutureSmart Level switching capabilities

Readme file for firmware 3.9.6

I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.