Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8028
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Two questions here:

1)  Why can't I use the Scan button on the printer.  Every time I try it takes me through a long process of visiting 123.hp.com/setup which the end result is to use the App on the PC.  What is the point of having this feature on the scanner when I have to use the app anyway?

2) and more importantly, is there anyway to scan from MY scanner to MY PC without having to log into the HP Cloud Services anytime?  I don't want my documents going through your cloud service.

Thank you Alex

HP Recommended Solution

1 - You can use HP Easy Start. Please go to Software and Driver Downloads page, search your product and find EasyStart Printer Setup Soft under Software-Utility.

2 - Or you can use HP Scan Extended or HP Scan and Capture. You can find more information in this document: HP Printers - Using the HP Scan and Capture App

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Can you download and install the FULL featured printer software from HP for your operating system:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

How to Scan to Computer

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. (the following video will show you how)

Scan to Computer (New UI) 

How to use "Scan to Computer" properly 

Once the Scan to Computer is setup, it will be scanned directly from the Printer to the computer.  This should address both your questions.

Hope that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

You might want to give consideration to informing your customers about this in the documentation that comes with the device. I have wasted four hours on this issue. Is that how your company seeks to compete in the printer market?

HP Recommended

Nothing you've said worked. I've been using the scanner for more than a year and I can't scan anymore if I don't sign to HP cloud. I don't like it.

HP Recommended

I specifically asked how to use the scan button ON THE PRINTER.  Your answer directs me to use the app on the computer.  Which I know about.  What is the use of having a button on the printer itself if you have to use the program on the computer?

And you did not even address the second point.  Why do I have to log into the HP cloud server when I want to scan documents directly from MY printer scanner to MY desktop?

HP Recommended

We have this same issue!  We've been using the HP Smart app on the computer for years... click the scan button and it was working fine.  Suddenly, I have to log into some cloud service to use my printer.  Like Sealman71, I do not want to run documents through the cloud service.  How can I scan directly from my scanner to my computer.  This cloud service is NOT wanted.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sealman71 

Spoiler
how to use the scan button ON THE PRINTER

Scan to Computer (New UI) 
How to use "Scan to Computer" properly 

In order to use the button on the Printer, you need the HP FULL software.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Please follow the steps.  

1. Install the HP FULL software

2. Activate Scan to computer - this allows the use of the Scan button on the printer

This method does not require any cloud connection whatsoever.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

I was having the same issue so I uninstalled HP smart and reinstalled it and now it works like it did before. I hope this helps!

HP Recommended

No, that did not work for me. Still need to access Cloud service to use the scanner.

HP Recommended

Yes, me, too... used to be able to scan from the HP (not so) smart app, HP, please fix this or I will not buy your printers any more!

--

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.